Publicity Manager, Children's Books
Bloomsbury Children’s Books are looking for a Publicity Manager to work across our award-winning list of Picture Books, Fiction, YA and Non-Fiction.
We’re looking for an imaginative and creative Publicist with a real passion for children’s books to create campaigns that break out debut talent, build bestselling names to new heights, and connect readers everywhere with their next great read. You will be joining a dynamic, collaborative and friendly Publicity team, reporting into the Head of Children’s Publicity, and together you will work to grow the children’s list through your targeted, creative, consumer-focused campaigns.
You will need strong communication skills, a keen understanding of strategically targeted publicity towards a specific readership to drive sales and a broad network of media contacts. Working across a range of print, digital, broadcast and specialist children’s book world media, the ideal candidate will have a proven track record of securing top PR slots for authors and illustrators and be skilled at engaging with online communities. You will also have experience organising and managing events and book tours.
The Publicity Manager will work closely with authors, illustrators and agents, as well as colleagues in Editorial, Marketing and Sales, so we are looking for a real team player with excellent communication skills and good time management.
Bloomsbury Children’s Books celebrated list is home to perfect picture books, page-turning middle-grade adventures, blockbuster YA fantasy and award-winning non-fiction. Its award-winning, diverse list includes authors such as Brigid Kemmerer, Catherine Doyle, J.K. Rowling, Jessie Burton, Katherine Rundell, Neil Gaiman and Renée Watson, illustrators such as Chris Riddell, Emily Gravett, Jim Kay, Kate Pankhurst, Rikin Parekh and Tom Percival, as well as breakout voices such as Ben Bailey Smith, Lesley Parr, Kalynn Bayron and Melissa Cummings-Quarry and Natalie A. Carter. We are also home to the most famous children’s book brand in the world: Harry Potter.
- Create and manage publicity campaigns for key children’s titles across picture book, non-fiction, fiction and YA lists
- Work closely with the children’s marketing team to ensure campaigns are integrated and well representative of expectations for the book and the availability of the author
- Build good relationships with media (print, broadcast and online) to promote titles, authors and illustrators and Bloomsbury
- Work creatively alongside event and festival organisers to bring Bloomsbury authors and illustrators to the public in new and dynamic ways
- Management of individual title campaign budgets
- Use social media to promote and create publicity moments online and ensure that all campaign events (including festivals) are well attended
- Create and manage strong relationships with colleagues across the children’s list
- Effectively communicate with internal and external stakeholders on all aspects of publicity and events
- Liaise with the global marketing and publicity teams to ensure that Bloomsbury titles are promoted globally whenever possible
- Attendance of editorial meetings, reading and feeding in the meeting and involvement in acquisition pitches
- Develop new innovative partnerships to bring to the children’s list
- Stay informed about new marketing and publicity insights, developments and opportunities
Skills, Knowledge and Experience
- Experience working in children’s publicity team
- A passion for and knowledge of children’s books across all formats and genres
- Demonstrate an understanding of how to build and lead effective campaigns and how integrated all aspects of a marketing and publicity campaign have to be
- Exceptional interpersonal, presentation and organisational skills, in addition to creative flair
- Ample knowledge of national press outlets and book coverage
- Excellent communication/presentation skills
- Excellent organisation skills and an ability to work on several projects simultaneously, with good time management skills
- Comprehensive social media skills and understanding of the significance of engagement, impressions and reach
- Good social media skills
The role is a full-time permanent position, offering a competitive salary, based at our beautiful offices in Bedford Square, London. The role offers flexibility to work partly at the office and partly at home however, as all Bloomsbury employees are currently working from home, this role will be based from home until our offices reopen.
As well as a fantastic opportunity to join a global award-winning organisation, Bloomsbury offers competitive benefits, generous staff discounts and flexible working arrangements.
Please apply with a CV and covering letter detailing how you meet the requirements outlined above for this role by Wednesday 5 May 2021.
Applicants must have the legal right to work in the UK.
Bloomsbury Publishing Plc.
Bloomsbury Publishing is a leading independent publishing house, established in 1986, with authors who have won the Nobel, Pulitzer and Booker Prizes, and is the originating publisher and custodian of the Harry Potter series. Bloomsbury has offices in London, New York, New Delhi, Oxford and Sydney. Within Bloomsbury’s Academic division, it publishes under Bloomsbury, as well as under a number of prestigious and historic imprint names. Read Our Story for how it all began.
Bloomsbury is committed to creating a working environment that stimulates creativity and collaboration, is respectful of difference, is inclusive and ethical in its practice, and promotes well-being. We are determined to nurture and develop our employees to reach their highest potential, and we know that our success is down to the passion, commitment and hard work of our talented people. We recognise the urgent need to attract and support applicants from all backgrounds and identities to become part of the global publishing industry, allowing diverse voices to reflect and shape our culture and society.
Please read more on our Missions and Values here.
Please read our environmental policy here.