An exciting opportunity has arisen within the Student Learning editorial team at Bloomsbury Academic for a publisher to manage and drive forward our market-leading Study Skills and Social Work lists to cover a maternity leave contract (up to 12 months).
The Student Learning team produce high quality, innovative textbooks and learning resources for undergraduate university students. We strive to develop relevant and impactful course content and study aids that support the success of today’s students and serve the needs of educators.
Reporting to the Editorial Director (Student Learning), as the publisher for these core lists you’ll take the lead on supporting expert authors, commissioning & delivering exciting publishing projects; and manage a team of high calibre colleagues.
- Commission new editions of established texts and key first editions within the Study Skills and Social Work lists
- Oversee digital development and update plans for digital product platforms (Skills for Study, Cite Them Right, and Social Work Toolkit)
- Maximising revenue, while controlling costs and overheads to maximize profit, and taking responsibility for the commercial performance of the list
- Working closely with authors and reviewers to ensure that proposals and typescripts material are produced to a high standard and meet the needs of the higher education market
- Line management of editors and assistant.
- Collaborative working with colleagues from all departments – Sales, Marketing, Production, Digital, etc.
Knowledge, skills and experience
- Degree level or equivalent
- In-depth knowledge/experience of the Higher Education undergraduate textbook/resource market
- A demonstrated ability to build strong and effective working relationships with colleagues and external contacts
- Proven commercial acumen
- Self-motivated with a calm, professional approach and a can-do attitude
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal)
- Excellent organisational skills with an ability to balance priorities
- Ability to delegate appropriately
- Experience of independently commissioning commercially successful undergraduate Higher Education textbooks and resources
- Extensive experience and knowledge of the editorial process
- Strong experience of building effective working relationships
- Extensive experience of working in a team as well as independently
- Proven organisational skills
The role is a full-time, 12 month Fixed Term Contract position.
The role is based at our London office 50 Bedford Square, London, WC1B 3DP on a hybrid working pattern of 2 days office based / 3 days home based (or fully office based if preferred). Allocated office days for this role are: Wednesday & Thursday
Please apply with a CV and covering letter addressed to Human Resources (Word or PDF format only) via the ‘APPLY NOW’ button detailing how you meet the requirements outlined above for this role by 31st May 2022.
Bloomsbury reserve the right to close the role early if we exceed the required number of applications
As well as a fantastic opportunity to join a global award-winning organisation, Bloomsbury offers the following competitive benefits package:
- hybrid working pattern of: 2 days office based / 3 days home based (or fully office based if preferred)
- 25 days holiday
- 3.5 days Christmas company holiday
- 2 Personal Wellness Days
Flexible Fridays – take Friday afternoon off by working an additional 3 hours and 45 minutes earlier in the week
Season Ticket Loan
Eyecare Voucher Scheme
That Day – online fitness classes, mindfulness, cookery classes, workshops etc.
Company culture! – Employee Voice Meetings, Staff Networks (BAME, Disability, Mental Health, LGBTQ+ and Parents, Guardians and Carers), 15 Mental Health First Aiders trained across the UK offices, Publishing Events and access to free Publishing Resources
For additional benefits see below
Bloomsbury is a place where anyone of any background, race, ethnicity, religion, sexuality, gender identity, age, ability, or socio-economic status can thrive, feel comfortable, and be heard and accepted. We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all sections of the community.
We are willing to make any reasonable adjustments throughout the recruitment process, please flag to the recruitment team if required
Applicants must have the legal right to work in the UK.
Bloomsbury Publishing Plc.
Bloomsbury Publishing is a leading independent publishing house, established in 1986, with authors who have won the Nobel, Pulitzer and Booker Prizes, and is the originating publisher and custodian of the Harry Potter series. Bloomsbury has offices in London, New York, New Delhi, Oxford and Sydney. Within Bloomsbury’s Academic division, it publishes under Bloomsbury, as well as under a number of prestigious and historic imprint names. Read Our Story for how it all began.
Bloomsbury is committed to creating a working environment that stimulates creativity and collaboration, is respectful of difference, is inclusive and ethical in its practice, and promotes well-being. We are determined to nurture and develop our employees to reach their highest potential, and we know that our success is down to the passion, commitment and hard work of our talented people. We recognise the urgent need to attract and support applicants from all backgrounds and identities to become part of the global publishing industry, allowing diverse voices to reflect and shape our culture and society.
Please read more on our Missions and Values here.
Please read our environmental policy here.