Bloomsbury Publishing is looking for a highly skilled Senior Marketing Manager to work across our award-winning and internationally successful children’s publishing list, including Picture Books, Illustrated Non-Fiction, Fiction and Young Adult books.
We’re looking for an ambitious and creative Senior Marketing Manager with a real passion for children’s and young adult books to create campaigns that break out debut talent, build bestselling names to new heights, and connect readers everywhere with their next great read. You will be joining a collaborative and friendly Marketing team, reporting into the Marketing Director, and together you will work to grow the children’s list through your targeted, strategic, consumer-focused campaigns. You’ll have an understanding of how to reach audiences through multi-platform campaigns, creating smart copy and eye-catching creative, and be able to work confidently with internal and external stakeholders. You will also be an experienced line manager with a passion for coaching and developing junior colleagues.
Bloomsbury Children’s Books celebrated list is home to perfect picture books, page-turning middle-grade adventures, blockbuster YA fantasy and award-winning non-fiction. Its award-winning, diverse list includes authors such as Brigid Kemmerer, Catherine Doyle, J.K. Rowling, Jessie Burton, Katherine Rundell, Neil Gaiman and Renée Watson, illustrators such as Chris Riddell, Emily Gravett, Jim Kay, Kate Pankhurst, Rikin Parekh and Tom Percival, as well as breakout voices such as Ben Bailey Smith, Lesley Parr, Kalynn Bayron and Melissa Cummings-Quarry and Natalie A. Carter. We are also home to the most famous children’s book brand in the world: Harry Potter.
- Create, implement and analyse campaigns which use the full marketing mix to bring our children’s titles across picture book, non-fiction, fiction and YA lists to life for our readers and gatekeepers.
- Line management of junior colleagues from Manager to Assistant level
- Deputising for the Marketing Director in internal and external meetings
- Management of individual title budgets
- Contributing to conversations and driving thinking around wider publishing strategy, list shape and acquisitions
- Proactively pursuing new ways of reaching readers, staying abreast of key publishing trends and the wider book market
- Clearly and effectively communicating marketing strategy with all key stakeholders, internal and external
- Proactively pursuing partnerships with brand partners, media partners and key stakeholders to increase brand visibility
- Identifying, devising and delivering best practice processes for the Marketing team, for example on bound proofs, point of sale, indie bookshop strategy and relationships with publishing partners.
- Devising social media strategies, including creation of engaging and share-worthy digital content
- Briefing design teams and freelance designers to produce top-quality visual assets for campaigns
Knowledge, skills and experience
- Marketing experience in publishing or the arts and culture sector desirable
- Previous line management experience desirable
- Creative vision, digital know-how, adaptability, and the skills to communicate, persuade and present.
- Experience creating, managing and reporting on Amazon and social media advertising campaigns desirable
- Experience of direct-to-consumer strategy desirable
- Keen interest in social media and new digital marketing opportunities
- Excellent organisation skills and an ability to work on several projects simultaneously
- Excellent copy-writing skills and an eye for great design
- Ability to cross-market and build strong new partnerships with external brands and organisations
- Understanding of design software (In-Design/Photoshop) desirable
The role is a full-time 12 month fixed term position
The role is based at our London office 50 Bedford Square, London, WC1B 3DP on a hybrid working pattern of 2 days office based / 3 days home based (or fully office based if preferred). Allocated office days Monday & Tuesday.
Please apply with a CV and covering letter addressed to Human Resources (Word or PDF format only) via the ‘APPLY NOW’ button detailing how you meet the requirements outlined above for this role by Friday 14th April 2023.
Bloomsbury reserve the right to close the role early if we exceed the required number of applications
As well as a fantastic opportunity to join a global award-winning organisation, Bloomsbury offers the following competitive benefits package:
- hybrid working pattern of: 2 days office based / 3 days home based (or fully office based if preferred)
- 25 days holiday
- 3.5 days Christmas company holiday
Two paid Personal Wellness Days
Flexible Fridays – take Friday afternoon off by working an additional 3 hours and 45 minutes earlier in the week
Season Ticket Loan
Eyecare Voucher Scheme
Company culture – Employee Voice Meetings, Staff Networks (Bloom (BAME), Accessibility, Mental Health, Pride, and Parents, Guardians and Carers), 9 Mental Health First Aiders trained across the UK offices, Publishing Events and access to free Publishing Resources
For additional benefits see below
Bloomsbury is a place where anyone of any background, race, ethnicity, religion, sexuality, gender identity, age, ability, or socio-economic status can thrive, feel comfortable, and be heard and accepted. We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all sections of the community.
We are willing to make any reasonable adjustments throughout the recruitment process, please flag to the recruitment team if required
Applicants must have the legal right to work in the UK.
Bloomsbury Publishing Plc.
Bloomsbury Publishing is a leading independent publishing house, established in 1986, with authors who have won the Nobel, Pulitzer and Booker Prizes, and is the originating publisher and custodian of the Harry Potter series. Bloomsbury has offices in London, New York, New Delhi, Oxford and Sydney. Within Bloomsbury’s Academic division, it publishes under Bloomsbury, as well as under a number of prestigious and historic imprint names. Read Our Story for how it all began.
Bloomsbury is committed to creating a working environment that stimulates creativity and collaboration, is respectful of difference, is inclusive and ethical in its practice, and promotes well-being. We are determined to nurture and develop our employees to reach their highest potential, and we know that our success is down to the passion, commitment and hard work of our talented people. We recognise the urgent need to attract and support applicants from all backgrounds and identities to become part of the global publishing industry, allowing diverse voices to reflect and shape our culture and society.
Please read more on our Missions and Values here.
Please read our environmental policy here.