Senior Product Assistant, Bloomsbury Digital Resources
We are looking to recruit an enthusiastic person to join our Product Management team as a Senior Digital Product Assistant, reporting to the Digital Product Manager for Fashion, Visual Arts and Architecture. Our team is part of Bloomsbury Digital Resources, which sits within the wider Bloomsbury Academic and Professional Division.
You will be joining a dynamic, growing and friendly team, who are re-imagining Bloomsbury’s academic publishing for a digital environment. Working on our industry-leading online products for visual arts, architecture and fashion, you will be central to shaping, developing, launching and managing some of our multi-award-winning suite of digital products.
The role will provide a great opportunity for candidates who are looking to start a career in a dynamic, fast-growing and forward-looking part of academic publishing. Bloomsbury is a key player in scholarly publishing and winner of The Bookseller’s Academic, Educational & Professional Publisher of the Year Award 2021.
Bloomsbury values the importance of work life balance and we offer flexible working options. This role is only expected to be in the office 2 days per week and we offer a core hours policy of 10:00 am to 3:00 pm, with flexible Fridays throughout the year. See below for further details.
Working on a growing list of products including Bloomsbury Fashion Central, Bloomsbury Applied Visual Arts, Bloomsbury Design Library, and Bloomsbury Architecture Library.
Product Management and content management
- Manage content updates and enhancements for digital products post-launch, ensuring that they are released to agreed schedule, budget and scope and working collaboratively with Production and Content Architecture colleagues to deliver new content
- Liaise with Sales, Marketing and Customer Services to communicate addition of new content and product enhancements
- Aid with site management by reporting bugs and issues to external software developers
- Manage products post-launch, developing expertise on specific products and ultimately becoming the ‘product champion’ responding to queries from Sales, Marketing and customers, troubleshooting and escalating issues as required, and contributing to strategic development of those products
- Prepare product metadata for supply to third parties such as MARC record suppliers and discovery services
- Carry out careful checks of metadata and content supplied by our content partners and liaise with partners as necessary
- Provide regular website usage reports and help identify opportunities for improving site content and features
- Assist with the running of regular product meetings and take minutes
- Assist the Product Manager to conduct user experience research with librarians, academics, teachers and students pre and post-launch to ensure that products meet user needs
- Take part in User Acceptance Testing and assist with identifying issues and bugs for new products pre and post-launch
- Use the Bloomsbury Publishing Platform to load content and configure HTML pages for new sites and updates, working with the Product Manager, Marketing and Editorial to implement site layout and visual design
Knowledge, skills and experience
- Some experience in publishing, web editing, project management or product development
- Proven project management and implementation experience on digital products
- Demonstrable technical ability (e.g. use of content management systems or similar); willingness to learn how to use new systems and adapt to new processes
- Excellent time management and the ability to prioritise both your own workload
- An eye for detail and a logical, problem-solving approach
- A collaborative team-player with excellent all-round communication skills with a proactive and ‘can do’ attitude
- Curiosity and willingness to learn
- Passion and interest in developing a career in digital product management
- Experience of gathering and interpreting web usage analytics
- Knowledge of data and coding (e.g. XML, HTML, CSS)
The role is a full-time permanent position and can be based either at our London office 50 Bedford Square, London, WC1B 3DP or at our Oxford office, Kemp House, Chawley Park, Cumnor Hill, Oxford OX2 9PH
We offer a hybrid working pattern of 2 days office based / 3 days home based (or fully office based if preferred by the applicant). Allocated office days for this role are: Wednesday and Thursday. Currently those who are confident and happy to be in the office are coming in, and those who are concerned about Covid-19 are continuing to work from home. This working arrangement is in place until 1 April 2021.
Please apply with a CV and covering letter addressed to Human Resources (Word or PDF format only) via the ‘APPLY NOW’ button detailing how you meet the requirements outlined above for this role by 19th December 2021. Bloomsbury reserve the right to close the ad early if we exceed the required number of applications.
As well as a fantastic opportunity to join a global award-winning organisation, Bloomsbury offers the following competitive benefits package:
- hybrid working pattern of: 2 days office based / 3 days home based (or fully office based if preferred)
- 25 days holiday
- 3.5 days Christmas company holiday
Flexible Fridays – take Friday afternoon off by working an additional 3 hours and 45 minutes earlier in the week
Season Ticket Loan
Share Save Scheme
Eye Care Voucher Scheme
Mob Group – online fitness classes, mindfulness, cookery classes, workshops etc.
Company culture! – Employee Voice Meetings, Staff Networks (BAME, Disability, Mental Health, LGBTQ+ and Parents, Guardians and Carers), 15 Mental Health First Aiders trained across the UK offices, Publishing Events and access to free Publishing Resources
For additional benefits see below
Bloomsbury is willing to make any reasonable adjustments throughout the recruitment process, please flag to the recruitment team if required
Applicants must have the legal right to work in the UK.
Bloomsbury Publishing Plc.
Bloomsbury Publishing is a leading independent publishing house, established in 1986, with authors who have won the Nobel, Pulitzer and Booker Prizes, and is the originating publisher and custodian of the Harry Potter series. Bloomsbury has offices in London, New York, New Delhi, Oxford and Sydney. Within Bloomsbury’s Academic division, it publishes under Bloomsbury, as well as under a number of prestigious and historic imprint names. Read Our Story for how it all began.
Bloomsbury is committed to creating a working environment that stimulates creativity and collaboration, is respectful of difference, is inclusive and ethical in its practice, and promotes well-being. We are determined to nurture and develop our employees to reach their highest potential, and we know that our success is down to the passion, commitment and hard work of our talented people. We recognise the urgent need to attract and support applicants from all backgrounds and identities to become part of the global publishing industry, allowing diverse voices to reflect and shape our culture and society.
Please read more on our Missions and Values here.
Please read our environmental policy here.