Senior Editor, Education
This is an exciting opportunity for an Editor with relevant publishing experience to join the Education team, working across a range of secondary, primary and early year’s materials that include illustrated fiction, children’s poetry, home learning books, teacher resources and professional development titles.
The successful candidate will have experience in the education market, will be up to date with the latest education initiatives and be passionate about creating books for practising teachers and young learners that are fit for purpose, innovative and commercial. They will be enthusiastic, creative, with a firm commitment to creating high quality educational books and digital products for the UK, and international markets.
- Working with the commissioning team to project manage projects across a broad range of educational titles, from teacher resources and professional development books to highly illustrated workbooks.
- Liaising with authors, freelancer editors, designers and in-house production.
- Negotiating freelance costs and managing the budget across individual books and projects.
- Project managing titles from commission to print and monitoring publishing schedules, including liaising with production staff to maintain schedules and Biblio data.
- Writing engaging and lively back cover copy.
- Liaising with sales, publicity and marketing departments.
- Presenting titles at our marketing and sales launch meetings.
- Acting as gatekeeper of editorial quality, embracing house style and in-house processes.
- Supporting junior members of staff on editorial processes and project management.
- Representing Bloomsbury Education at conferences and events.
Knowledge, skills and experience
- Established editorial experience within educational publishing in print and digital products.
- Excellent knowledge of the English language, high standards of accuracy and a keen eye for detail.
- Strong visual awareness.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Strong organisational skills and a rigorous, self-motivated approach to briefing, meeting deadlines and managing schedules and budgets.
- Working directly with authors, illustrators, agents and third parties.
- Project management of the life of all components of a project, ensuring it is running to schedule and budget.
- Copy editing and proof-reading manuscripts and layouts to house style.
- Briefing covers according to key dates and schedules, making sure cover copy is suitable for the end buyer and stands up against competition.
- Working with production to ensure they have the information they need with regard to formats, specifications and finishes, and updating them regularly during the life of a project.
- Awareness of print procedures and printing needs.
- Awareness of cost limitations and profitability of a project.
The role is a full-time permanent position, based at our beautiful offices in London with flexibility to work partly at the office and partly at home however, as all Bloomsbury employees are currently working from home, this role will be based from home until our offices reopen.
As well as a fantastic opportunity to join a global award-winning organisation, Bloomsbury offers competitive benefits, generous staff discounts and flexible working arrangements.
Please apply with a CV and covering letter detailing how you meet the requirements outlined above for this role by 9 am Friday 30 April 2021.
Applicants must have the legal right to work in the UK.
Bloomsbury Publishing Plc.
Bloomsbury Publishing is a leading independent publishing house, established in 1986, with authors who have won the Nobel, Pulitzer and Booker Prizes, and is the originating publisher and custodian of the Harry Potter series. Bloomsbury has offices in London, New York, New Delhi, Oxford and Sydney. Within Bloomsbury’s Academic division, it publishes under Bloomsbury, as well as under a number of prestigious and historic imprint names. Read Our Story for how it all began.
Bloomsbury is committed to creating a working environment that stimulates creativity and collaboration, is respectful of difference, is inclusive and ethical in its practice, and promotes well-being. We are determined to nurture and develop our employees to reach their highest potential, and we know that our success is down to the passion, commitment and hard work of our talented people. We recognise the urgent need to attract and support applicants from all backgrounds and identities to become part of the global publishing industry, allowing diverse voices to reflect and shape our culture and society.
Please read more on our Missions and Values here.
Please read our environmental policy here.