Special Sales Manager
Reports to: Kate Griffiths, Head of Special Sales
Location: Victoria House, Bloomsbury Square, London
Department: Special Sales
Salary range: £30,000-£35,000 per annum, depending on experience
An exciting opportunity for an organised and enthusiastic individual to work across the entirety of Bonnier Book UK’s publishing within the special sales team. As a special sales manager, you will be taking on major account responsibilities and working on many projects at once. This could be anything from a special edition fiction title for a subscription box to a custom novelty children’s book.
The role would cover both Bonnier’s children’s and adult publishing. This spans a huge range of titles and offers opportunity to learn and sell across every category of a major trade publisher. This role will liaise across the company to ensure the special sales team is keeping to budget and hitting targets throughout the year. There would also be individual targets and an annual budget assigned for this role and the right person for this role would be capable of keeping track of their own customers independently and developing good relationships with buyers.
Proven organisational skills and the ability to prioritise effectively will be key. Training will be provided for internal systems used: Biblio, SeeView, PowerBI. The special sales manager role offers a unique opportunity to gain experience working in an entrepreneurial and independent part of the business. Ultimately this role will be fundamental in helping the special sales team to reach their annual budgets and develop new business.
- Processing orders and updating assigned customers with title information. Understanding and implementing individual methods of communication for each of the customers assigned to the role.
- Creating and maintaining sales material such as order forms and PowerPoint presentations
- Supporting the Head of Special Sales where necessary with wider customer targets
- Setting up and running meetings with assigned customers on your own; understanding when to do so and what information is best to bring to the meeting (i.e. title information, business updates)
- Attending internal meetings and being a lead for special sales for defined divisional responsibilities
- Advocating for the special sales team and sharing customer-specific points within internal meetings
- Understanding financial targets regarding assigned customers and the wider special sales targets as a whole
- Taking initiative to take on new responsibilities within the team
- A keen understanding and experience of the production side of special sales; costing up books, upspeccing and despeccing, calculating margins
- Reaching out to new business and building the customer base for the special sales team; pinpointing titles in the programme to focus on for business development
- A strong sense of organisation and ability to juggle many projects at once
- Providing support and organisation at external events like bookfairs, where required
- Liaising with all other departments, including Editorial, Publicity, Marketing, Production, and Design
Qualifications and experience
- The ideal candidate would have 1-2 years working as a special sales executive but all candidates with a publishing sales background will be considered
- MS Office skills, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Strong analytical skills and commercial awareness
- Attention to detail
- Organisation and time management
- Communication skills – internal and external
- An enthusiasm for books and reading
- Outside the box thinking
If you are interested in this role, please apply via our website. We look forward in hearing from you.
Bonnier Books UK is committed to building a diverse workforce through positive action. Currently, Black, Asian and Multi-Ethnic employees are under-represented in our workforce and we actively encourage applicants from these groups. For further information, please read our Diversity & Inclusion Action Plan here.
About Bonnier Books UK
At Bonnier Books UK, we believe that every book matters. We love to publish stories and content that open our eyes to new perspectives and bring us closer together. We offer a nurturing home for our authors, illustrators and brand partners, publishing bestselling books for readers and listeners everywhere. We know that fantastic stories can come from anywhere and our purpose is to bring them to as wide an audience as possible, a simple ethos that has led to us becoming one of the country’s leading publishers.
The offspring of Bonnier Books, a family-owned top-15 world publisher headquartered in Sweden, we are inspired by a rich literary heritage but not bound by convention. We think in generations rather than quarters, and strive always to operate in an open, curious way that contributes to the future of the planet and its people. As a climate-neutral publisher we are an active participant in the Science Based Target initiative, committed to a strategy to limit global warming to 1.5 °C.