Charts and data analyst - part time (4 days a week)
Are you searching for your next part time role working with data and charts in publishing?
The Bookseller is the leading trade magazine for the publishing industry in the UK. Founded in 1858, we are fiercely independent. As well as the weekly print magazine, The Bookseller is available online via subscription, and runs The British Book Awards, The YA Book Prize, the Marketing & Publicity, Children’s and FutureBook conferences. It is now owned by The Stage Media Company.
The Bookseller is looking for a data analyst to join its vibrant editorial team on a four-day working week reporting to the Managing Editor.
Main purpose of the role:
To compile and analyse weekly charts—the bulk supplied by Nielsen BookScan with additional data sets from other sources or generated in-house—and seek to expand the magazine’s leading data coverage.
Key responsibilities and tasks include, but are not limited to:
- compiling The Bookseller's weekly charts from raw BookScan data
- writing time-critical online analysis of those charts every Tuesday, followed up by larger piece in the print magazine
- supervision of The Bookseller’s online and in print charts coverage
- working with the managing editor to expand the magazine’s insight and data sets.
- work with publishers to compile The Bookseller’s E-Book Ranking
- conduct frequent deep analysis of book market sectors for various supplements, news stories and special reports
- compile sales data for other members of the editorial team to augment news, profiles and features
Skills required for the role:
- experience in data analysis and/or journalism
- a broad understanding of book sales, publishing and bookselling
- skill and confidence in handling complex data
- strong technical and creative writing skills
- a deep understanding of the book trade
- impeccable Excel skills
- ability to analyse and write incisive copy about book charts and consumer data
Attributes required for the role:
- boundless enthusiasm for books and reading
- able to balance and respond quickly to changing or competing priorities
- organised, cooperative and demonstrates exceptional attention to detail
- able to positively contribute to a team-oriented, collaborative environment
- comfortable with a level of technical complexity
- able to work accurately under pressure
- able to work independently and also as part of a team
The deadline for applications is September 29, 2023.
This role will be based in the London(SE1) office two days a week with the remaining two days available for office/home working. We would also be open to candidates looking for a three-day working week (salary will be 60% FTE). Kindly specify on your covering letter if this is your preference.
The Stage Media Company welcomes people from a range of backgrounds, and with different perspectives. We are committed to equal opportunities in employment and encourage applicants from a diverse range of backgrounds and abilities.
Please let us know if you require reasonable adjustments at any point during the application and/or recruitment process.