Are you a news editor or a deputy news editor on a business-to-business magazine, daily or weekly newspaper or news website looking for your next role?
The Bookseller has been the business magazine of the book industry since 1858. Its news output - whether it is delivered in print, online, via social media or on email - is widely respected for its relevance, accuracy and timeliness.
The Bookseller is recruiting an experienced News Editor to oversee the publication’s extensive news coverage online (including email, web and social media) and in print, and to manage its news team.
Reporting to the magazine's Editor, the prospective candidate should already be working as a news editor or a deputy news editor on a business-to-business magazine, daily or weekly newspaper or news website.
Main purpose of the role
To oversee the smooth running of the newsdesk. To create publication-ready editorial content of the highest standard for the web, paper and other platforms, conforming to house-style, and to ensure that the team on newsdesk do the same. To combine editorial expertise with commercial awareness in a manner that best serves the interests of the company. This role includes line management responsibility
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Manage the newsdesk on a day-to-day basis, ensuring a steady output of accurate, well-researched news and ongoing efforts to secure off-diary news and exclusives
- Shepherd the skills of the reporting team, leading by example, to uphold and enhance The Bookseller’s reputation for quality reporting and insightful features across all platforms (web, print, mobile, social media, newsletter etc)
- Uphold and seek to improve the standard of factual and grammatical accuracy, and house style
- Oversee and develop a series of regular self-generated industry trend reports
- Commission and edit relevant editorial relating to the book publishing and bookselling industry (tailored to The Bookseller’s readership) in accordance with requirements and budget
- Adapt contributor copy to necessary standards as outlined above
- Source required additional media – e.g. photos – to accompany editorial content
- Maintain and extend a wide range of industry contacts capable of generating off-diary content and building relationships
- Maintain an editorial diary to help with news planning and special reports
- Meet daily with the news team to discuss new leads, breaking news, amendments, updates and ongoing diary planning. Report developments to editors
- Regular liaison and occasional support to The Bookseller's social media team
- People management of the newsdesk to include providing leadership, guidance and mentoring to members of the newsdesk team. Recognise where training is required and recommend it for reporters. Duties further include items such as overseeing holiday/sickness reporting and appraisals
- Always work towards accepted style, quality, law and balance requirements
- Cover for team members as required. This includes cover for editors in case of illness or emergency
- Represent The Bookseller at external events
Key skills required:
- Ability to manage, delegate to and lead a team
- Recognised journalism qualification
- Fully trained in news writing, copy subbing and news editing
- Excellent working knowledge of press legislation
- Outstanding working knowledge of UK publishing
- Proficient in use of Apple Mac, email and internet
- Familiar with Affino
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Conversant with multimedia journalism and writing for the web, and eager to adapt and advance these skills in an ever-changing market
Personal Attributes required:
- Able to work independently but also as part of a wider team
- Able to stay calm under pressure
- Able to balance multiple priorities and see the bigger picture
- Display initiative and drive actions forward
- Organised and demonstrates excellent attention to detail
- Intuitive to business needs
- Willingness to participate in continual learning
- Outstanding interpersonal skills
- Excellent ability to network
Normal working hours are 8.30am-4.30pm and hybrid/office based three days a week at Bermondsey Street, although it is accepted the jobholder may be required to work outside these times and out of the office as necessary.
Deadline for applications is February 23, 2024.
The Stage Media Company welcomes people from a range of backgrounds, and with different perspectives. We are committed to equal opportunities in employment and encourage applicants from a diverse range of backgrounds and abilities.
Please let us know if you require reasonable adjustments at any point during the application and/or recruitment process.