The Bookseller is the leading trade magazine for the publishing industry in the UK. Founded in 1858, we are fiercely independent. As well as the weekly print magazine, The Bookseller is available online via subscription, and runs The British Book Awards, The YA Book Prize, the Marketing & Publicity, Children’s and FutureBook conferences. It is now owned by The Stage Media Company ltd.
The Bookseller is looking for a senior reporter on a fixed-term contract covering maternity leave for a 12-month period to start in March 2022.
Main Purpose of the role:
To work with the news team to create engaging editorial content of the highest standard for the web, magazine and other platforms, conforming to The Bookseller’s house style.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Writing fast, accurate news stories for www.theBookseller.com online, including for daily morning news email, with a focus on exclusive content
- Contributing news and feature stories to The Bookseller (both print and online)
- Developing contacts on defined patches to secure original stories.
For a full job description, please see available documents for download.
We are looking for a tenacious and motivated journalist, able to write fast, accurate articles for an informed readership, and with a particular focus on securing exclusive stories. Applicants should have substantial experience of news reporting on a business-to-business magazine, daily or weekly newspaper or news website. Familiarity with the book industry will be an advantage.
Part of a wider news team, the role reports to The Bookseller's news editor.
How to apply:
To apply to this vacancy click the apply button below. You will be asked to register your details. On the following page you should upload:
• Your CV
• A short covering letter (max 1 page)
• If you are willing, the voluntary equal opportunities form you can download below
Once you have uploaded your items click ‘finish application’
The company is committed to Equal Opportunities in employment and welcomes applications from all sections of the community.
Please note we are not able to accept recruitment agency CVs for this role. Any CVs sent speculatively will not be eligible for a fee.
• Excellent training and the opportunity to develop your career
• Based in the heart of London Bridge
• Access to our discounts’ portal
• Membership to Employee Assistance Programme
• Annual season ticket loan
• Life Insurance
We will consider candidates who would prefer a four-day working week as an alternative to a full-time post
Equal opportunities monitoring form equal_opps_monitoring_form_recruitment_SR_Jan_22.docx
Recruitment privacy notice recruitment_privacy_notice_Dec_21.docx
Job description - senior reporter (mat cover) Senior_reporter_job_description_mat_cover_Jan_22.docx