The Associate Manager / Manager Children’s in Subsidiary Rights will be a skilled and successful rights professional with a proven track record of selling a range of rights with a primary focus on Children’s titles, and a strong network of contacts in the major European translation markets.
- The sale of translation rights in the territory (Europe, Children’s), primarily by direct contact with publishers and secondly via sub-agents
- Negotiating contractual terms with customers and raising contracts in conjunction with the Rights & Export Assistant.
- Fully managing the fulfilment of co-editions within the territory
- Assist in setting and then developing Sales Budgets for your territory / customers under your control
- Research and development new customers / contacts to sell to
- Updating departmental progress reports and sales databases
- Providing Market reports where necessary
- Working with Marketing and the Rights & Export Sales Assistant to obtain best materials and timely information for sales presentations
- Reading of new titles pre-acquisition, assessing for rights potential and income
- In collaboration with rights channel colleagues create newsletters to send to agents and publishers, updating them on key titles, rights sales, new titles and pertinent publishing news.
- Attending Bookfairs, LBF / Bologna / FBF annually (either in person or remote)
- Covering for wider Rights/Export colleagues when necessary
Experience and Skills
- Extensive experience selling children’s rights within a publishing or agency environment (7 years +)
- Has a network of International children’s publishing contacts
- Experience selling co-editions essential
- Outstanding communication, sales and negotiation skills
- Commercial awareness
- Exceptional organizational skills and be able to collaborate fully with colleagues as well as publishers and agents in a busy and exacting environment
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and Excel mandatory, Edelweiss desirable
- Fluent written and spoken English, other languages a bonus but not compulsory
- Ability to work independently, calmly under pressure and to tight deadlines, with excellent record-keeping and without compromising on quality
- Strong teamwork skills to help mentor, train and work with junior members of staff
- Proven track record of Sales results, Children’s book experience essential, as would the major Western European markets
The Associate Manager/ Manager is a remote role based in the U.K. Must have some flexibility in working hours to enable crossover with U.S. colleagues.
Depending upon experience, an employee in this position can expect £50,000 – £60,000 per annum.
Please send your covering letter and C.V. to email@example.com in order to be considered for this role
About Union Square & Co.
We’re a talent-driven publisher whose mission is to promote excellence in contemporary publishing and to honor the vision of our creators by providing best-in-class production, editorial and design choices.
Headquartered in New York City, Union Square & Co., LLC, is a subsidiary of Sterling Publishing Co., Inc.
Our diverse imprints include our adult imprints Union Square & Co., Puzzlewright Press, and Sterling Ethos, and our children’s imprints Union Square Kids, Flash Kids, and Boxer Books.