Commissioning Editor (fiction)
Location: London (though flexible/offsite working available)
Are you an experienced and proactive commissioning editor looking to work for an innovative and ambitious company? Do you want to make your mark, working with some of the world’s best commercial storytellers, shaping their books into market leaders?
Canelo is an independent publisher based in London. We are never afraid to try new things and challenge publishing industry norms. We enjoy working in undervalued areas of publishing and rejuvenating them for new audiences. Canelo was shortlisted for Independent Publisher of the Year at the British Book Awards in 2021.
Working closely with the Publishing Director you will focus on the expansion of the psychological thriller and crime fiction stories of our list. As an editor you will commission with a focus on building brand names and responding to genre trends. You will also commission books for our re-issue list and seek UK rights to exciting genre fiction from other territories. You will be responsible for managing every aspect from acquisition through to publication and work closely with the sales, marketing and publicity team to ensure all sales and reader engagement opportunities are maximised. In addition, Canelo is actively looking to commission authors from backgrounds or communities underrepresented on the Canelo list and the Commissioning Editor would be part of that initiative.
- Commissioning books with bestseller potential in the genres of psychological thriller and crime fiction for both frontlist and re-issue publishing, meeting ambitious targets of 25 + books per year
- Pro-actively seeking out new author and agent relationships, building the company profile and bringing on-board existing strong sellers
- Commissioning books with great ebook bestseller potential but also with strong crossover into our thriving print list, building support for these titles in-house
- Handling manuscripts through the critical path, including structural edits, copy edits and proofreads, liaising with authors throughout
- Drafting cover briefs and working with designers and the team in-house to deliver industry-leading covers
- Creating highly effective copy, metadata and supplementary marketing and sales materials
- Liaising with authors and agents to provide exemplary author care and updates on acquired novels Preparing contracts and ensuring accurate communications with agents and authors
- Helping prepare texts for print as well as ebook publication
We are looking for a capable, energetic and collaborative editor with a strong track record in commissioning. If you have at least two years experience in an editorial role and commissioning experience we’d love to hear from you.
Closing date: 18 June 2021
Please send a covering letter and CV to email@example.com