An exciting new role of Commissioning Editor has opened up in a non-fiction trade division of one of the world's largest publishing groups, based in their central London office. The role offers an attractive salary and benefits package, alongside the chance to make a significant impact on the company's overall success.
The Commissioning Editor will develop and nurture the company's internationally renowned drinks list of predominantly illustrated books, with the opportunity to commission some cookery and other lifestyle areas alongside that core list. It's the chance to work with an established list of world-class experts and introduce new brands and authors to the programme.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Commissioning 8-10 new titles per annum, predominantly drinks books but with some cookery and other lifestyle areas.
- Handling the successful publishing of a series of highly respected drinks, atlases and guides as new editions are published.
- Bringing new authors and brands to the list in line with current market trends and keeping the international market in mind
- Negotiating contracts with authors and agents.
- Keeping up to speed with market conditions and regularly assessing performance of your own commissions.
- Working closely with authors on the structure/content of their book up to handover stage and retaining an overview on projects thereafter to ensure that the vision, quality, as well as budget, for titles are retained.
- Presenting relevant titles in sales and launch meetings as necessary and 'championing' the books in-house with PR and sales from conception to publication and beyond.
- Maintaining backlist, refreshing and updating content and presentation where appropriate.
The Commissioning Editor will ideally be someone with previous experience commissioning highly illustrated books aimed at an international market and who is keen to develop and grow a successful drinks list. Some drinks or cookery knowledge will be an advantage. This is a rare opportunity to work on a high-profile, award-winning part of the business, working as part of a committed team in a creative and enterprising environment, and offers a competitive salary and benefits package.
For a full description of the role, please send your CV with a brief paragraph outlining your relevant skills.
Closing Date: Early applications may be prioritised.
** Inspired Search & Selection are a publishing recruitment specialist who operate an Equal Opportunities policy. We treat all employees and job applicants fairly and equally regardless of their sex, sexual orientation, marital status, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion, age, disability or union membership status.
In May 2019, Inspired Search & Selection pledged to promote The Book Trade Charity. As a charity, BTBS offer financial help to people (particularly those under the age of 30) looking for jobs in the book trade, including help with interview costs, to help support paid internships and work experience and for other opportunities for development. Please follow this link to check eligibility and further support.