Due to growth and internal promotion, a highly successful, global publisher of medical journals is looking to recruit an ambitious and motivated individual to join their Medical and Healthcare journals team as a Commissioning Editor. This role is a fabulous opportunity for an individual with some proven experience in journals publishing looking for the next step in their career and who is keen to learn all aspects of the commissioning process. The position will support the commissioning and development of journals on their flagship journals series, working as part of a close knit team. Relevant training will be given as required.
This is an important role for the list and your specific responsibilities will involve commissioning high quality content for 2 flagship journals, whilst working closely with the journals editor and editorial boards, ensuring that content is relevant; this will involve commissioning drug profile/evaluation articles and commissioning fringe articles.
This is an ideal role for someone who has a genuine interest/background in science, and who enjoys the process of researching relevant scientific literature and commissioning ideas for new articles.
Key responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
- Commissioning high quality and relevant journal content, by inviting experts to write on suitable topics
- Building close relationships with authors, editorial boards and key opinion leaders
- Oversee the peer review process and make decisions on manuscripts
- Reviewing submitted manuscripts for suitability and quality
- Ensure all relevant editorial and ethical guidelines and policies are followed
- Independently manage and develop your own journals to maintain competitiveness
- Support the marketing team to promote your own journals
This is a fantastic role and a golden opportunity for an enthusiastic and highly motivated self-starter looking to develop their career in medical publishing. The successful person will be educated to degree level with a biomedical degree (essential) and able to demonstrate an interest in scientific/medical publishing. You will have some proven editorial or publishing experience within biomedical journals which you are looking to build upon; you will possess strong communication skills, both written and verbal; able to work as part of a team and have excellent time management skills.
This position closes on 6th November therefore early applications may be given priority. For further details, please forward your CV with a covering letter outlining your interest and salary expectations.