Are you enthusiastic about the theatre scene and interested in turning this passion into an editorial career? We are looking for candidates who are familiar with big and smaller theatre productions and dream of working with playwrights to commission new plays for the Drama imprint of an academic publisher. This company is one of the biggest drama publishers in the world and they are looking to appoint a Commissioning Editor to develop their portfolio of plays.
This publisher offers a hybrid working pattern with 2 days a week in their London office.
The hiring managers welcome applications from candidates outside of the publishing industry, but who will be able to bring solid theatre knowledge and strong writing and proofreading skills to the role. This could be the dream job from someone with experience reviewing plays or coming from a media or literary agency background.
Responsibilities will include:
- Commissioning new content and plays to agreed targets
- Carrying out initial manuscript checks before delivery to Production
- Liaising with theatres, playwrights and other stakeholders to ensure timely delivery of plays
- Negotiating contracts with authors and other collaborators
- Managing the schedule and budgets of commissioning projects
- Liaising with colleagues to ensure new books are promoted effectively and published to desired quality
- Developing market knowledge by keeping abreast of new trends in drama and attending performances and other relevant events such as academic conferences
This is an amazing opportunity for a theatre lover looking to move into a commissioning role, and who will bring confidence, creativity and a commercial mindset to the job. We are looking for someone who will place the same high value on author care, content quality and customer relationships as our client, and who will demonstrate enthusiasm for the subject. Get in touch for more information!
For a full description of the role, please send your CV with a brief paragraph outlining your relevant skills.
Closing Date: Early applications may be prioritised.
** Inspired Search & Selection are a publishing recruitment specialist who operate an Equal Opportunities policy. We treat all employees and job applicants fairly and equally regardless of their sex, sexual orientation, marital status, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion, age, disability or union membership status.
In May 2019, Inspired Search & Selection pledged to promote The Book Trade Charity. As a charity, BTBS offer financial help to people (particularly those under the age of 30) looking for jobs in the book trade, including help with interview costs, to help support paid internships and work experience and for other opportunities for development. Please follow this link to check eligibility and further support.