Content Development Editor
Are you a publishing and editorial professional looking for your next challenge in a books focused role?
We have an exciting opportunity for a Content Development Editor to join our team. We’re all still working from home but this role can be fully remote longer term, depending on your location.
Who Are Emerald:
Emerald Publishing is a global publisher linking research and practice. Founded in 1967 to champion new ideas that advance research and practice. Today, we continue to nurture fresh thinking in applied fields where we feel we can make a real difference. We publish over 300 journals, more than 2,500 books and over 1,500 case studies, via our dedicated research platform. Part of Emerald Group, a global learning organisation, with a presence in 130 countries worldwide.
Role & Team:
The Content Development Editor facilitates the Editorial onboarding of all new products and content types enabling frictionless delivery of new products to Production. With a primary focus on books, the role also covers our licensed cases products, journal contract publishing services and all new forms of content.
In the role you’ll oversee the delivery of a portfolio of books in line with Emerald’s standards of timely delivery, quality, customer service, and cost control. You’ll train and support an offshore team of Book Project Editors (BPEs) who take responsibility for an allocated portfolio of titles from point of contract through to delivery of final files to Production.
You will be working in partnership with external vendors and internal and external product stakeholders, providing expert advice and guidance on the Editorial onboarding of all new products and content types.
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Training, coaching, and supporting a team of external Book Project Editors across a portfolio of allocated titles; providing expert advice on rights/permissions/copyright queries and acting as an escalation point for author and editor queries.
- Monitor and support the work of the Book Project Editors to ensure quality control and on time delivery of projects.
- Act as a liaison between internal Emerald teams and external vendor teams, reporting on allocated portfolio performance and resolving any problems that need escalation from the team.
- Provide Editorial onboarding for newly contracted journal titles and act as named point of contact until product handover to the peer review team.
- Provide new cases content integration and contribute relevant Editorial expertise to ongoing product development.
Who We’re Looking For:
- Do you have a mindset of continuous improvement?
- We’re looking for someone who can demonstrate an understanding of the changing landscape of academic publishing and will actively participate or lead projects that support Emerald’s mission.
- Experience of coaching, negotiating with confidence, and training or mentoring others.
- We’re also looking for someone with the ability to work to deadlines, advanced organisation, problem solving and decision-making skills
- Equally value in this role is conflict resolution and the ability to resolve editorial conflicts and disputes.
- In addition, knowledge of editorial submission and workflow tools and book title management systems is highly desirable.
***Please apply ASAP as interviews may commence and the advert close before the closing date***
What’s in It for You:
We value our people. Becoming a part of our team means you’ll join a trusting and flexible environment with numerous opportunities to progress your career, as well as access to professional development and the opportunity to learn new skills.
You’ll receive a wide range of benefits, such as flexible working and working from home, performance bonus, 6% pension contribution, a generous holiday allowance, life assurance and various benefits aimed at supporting your wellbeing and work-life balance.