Rights Agent, Translation Rights (Books)
A very exciting opportunity has arisen for a Translation Rights Agent role, working within our Book department. As part of one of the busiest rights team in Europe and working on behalf of Curtis Brown’s internationally-renowned author list, the agent will negotiate the sale of translation rights primarily in direct markets and throughout the world.
The ideal candidate will already have a proven rights-selling track record and the ability to inspire confidence in author and agent clients. The candidate will be comfortable in a role negotiating rights for the world’s leading writers and will be able to achieve market-leading terms. We are looking for someone who is passionate about books and contemporary international publishing, who approaches rights selling with verve and dynamism, and who brings energy, enthusiasm and creative approaches to all elements of their work. You must also be able to balance a significant client roster with a sharp attention to detail and the ability to inspire and thrive within a large team of colleagues. You will have line manager responsibility for a Translation Rights Executive whose role involves providing support to you and the wider department.
We’d love to hear from you if you have:
- Expertise in a comparable role, which would include direct responsibility for sales and management of sizeable client/literary lists that incorporate authors and estates of worldwide importance and renown
- Comprehensive knowledge of international publishing markets and trends
- Comprehensive knowledge of contemporary fiction and non-fiction writing and publishing
- Excellent communication skills – we need a clear and open communicator
- A high level of accuracy and attention to detail in your work
- Excellent organisational and time management skills
- The ability to work under pressure across multiple authors and titles simultaneously
- Familiarity with core Microsoft applications (Outlook, Word, Excel)
- Experience with Rights Management databases is a plus, as is proficiency of use in, and/or enjoyment of, social media
- Someone with a highly collaborative approach, who is able to contribute positively to the whole department
- Resilient and adaptable
- Highly motivated with a strong work ethic – and stamina, you’ll be expected to work some additional hours, for example during Book Fair periods
- A confident, warm personality – a person who inspires trust and can instil this sense in our clients
- Someone with a flexible approach to problems – a person who can learn quickly
Why choose us?
We are a passionate group of people who love what we do and love working with each other. We offer an extensive list of benefits designed to meet your needs for today and in the future, including: free yoga and personal training classes, many health and wellbeing tools and resources, eyecare vouchers, a bike to work scheme, season ticket loans, private healthcare (after 2 years’ service), a retail discounts portal, various employee groups to get involved in, and much more!
We aim to build a creative environment that celebrates the differences of our clients and colleagues, offering equal opportunities regardless of gender, race, socio-economic background, age, disability, sexual orientation and national origin. In our role as conduits and champions of cultural expression we are conscious of our responsibility to reflect the world around us. This means making a considered effort to create an inclusive culture in the workplace and promote opportunities for the broadest possible range of talent. We welcome all applications from people with interesting ideas, skills and experience.
Please note the role is currently based on a mixed home / office work pattern, which is envisaged to continue in the medium term, but is subject to ongoing review.
Applications close – 5pm on Monday, 4th October 2021
Salary – Commensurate with experience and attractive benefits package
Start date – Dependent on whether a notice period is required
You can find more information about this role, including details of how to apply, on our website: https://www.curtisbrown.co.uk/page/jobs
Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments during the interview process. You must have the right to work in the UK.