Rights Agent, Part time 6-month fixed term contract
Job Description: Rights Agent
Department: Translation Rights (Books)
Reporting to: Co-Heads of Translation Rights
Main purpose of role:
An exciting opportunity has arisen for an experienced Rights Agent to join our Translation Rights (Books) department on a 6-month fixed term basis, working part-time 3 to 4 days a week. This role centres negotiating the sale of translation rights for assigned authors in various territories throughout the world. We’ll be working from home until such time as circumstances allow us to return to working in our central London offices, when this role will combine elements of office/home working on a schedule to be agreed.
- Reading and commenting on new material. Providing feedback on rights potential to primary agents as needed.
- Submitting material on proposal, partial manuscript, full manuscript, proofs and finished copies. Writing pitch letters and targeting specific editors when making submissions.
- Negotiating the best possible terms with editors before presenting them to the Company’s clients and then drafting all new agreements in those territories where the Company deals direct.
- Helping to foster and maintain author relationships to a high degree of client service, including providing detailed information on submissions strategies, submissions feedback, and financial payment status when requested to do so.
- Conditions permitting, travel to those territories where we deal direct and to other territories when it is necessary, including attendance at various book-fairs where deemed necessary.
- The ongoing creation and maintenance of profile pages on the Company’s website for assigned authors and their works.
- Coordinating interviews and international publicity tours for clients as needed.
- General administrative tasks including but not limited to: maintaining manual and computerised filing systems and records, entering information to the company database and to Microsoft Excel sheets, producing reports and contribution copy to Translation Rights Department newsletters and to the Company’s website, drawing up invoices and contracts where required.
We’d love to hear from you if you have:
- Expertise in a comparable role, which would include direct responsibility for sales and management of sizeable client/literary lists that incorporate authors and estates of worldwide importance and renown
- Comprehensive knowledge of international publishing markets and trends
- Comprehensive knowledge of contemporary fiction and non-fiction writing and publishing
- Excellent communication skills – we need a clear and open communicator
- A high level of accuracy and attention to detail in your work
- Excellent organisational and time management skills
- The ability to work under pressure across multiple authors and titles simultaneously
- Familiarity with core Microsoft products (Outlook, Word, Excel)
- Experience with Rights Management databases is a plus, as is proficiency of use in, and/or enjoyment of, social media
- A team player who is able to contribute positively to the whole department
- Someone resilient and adaptable
- Someone who is highly motivated with a strong work ethic – and stamina, you’ll be expected to work some additional hours, for example during Book Fair periods
- A confident, warm personality – a person who inspires trust and can instil this sense in our clients
- Someone with a flexible approach to problems – a person who can learn quickly
- Passionate and knowledgeable about books and the publishing industry
Why choose us?
- We are a passionate group of people who love what we do and love working with each other
- We care about employee wellbeing and offer free yoga and personal training classes, and social club outings to relax and unwind together (currently on Zoom)
- We also offer season ticket loans, a bike to work scheme, enhanced pension contribution up to 5% of your base salary, and private healthcare (after 2 years’ service).