Editorial Assistant/Assistant Editor
Daphne Press is a newly established publisher dedicated to bringing evocative and diverse YA & Adult SFF titles to the market. Our list features established bestselling authors like Wesley Chu and Susan Dennard as well as new, up-and-coming voices, including Gabriela Romero Lacruz and H.E. Edgmon.
We are seeking an editorial assistant or assistant editor to work across our science fiction, fantasy, and speculative titles. This is an opportunity for current publishing professionals looking to move into an editorial role or into SFF publishing, or a newcomer to the industry who is looking for their first position. The role offers a rare opportunity to join a small, passionate team and help shape a growing list, with the potential for future growth and development.
This is a full-time (35 hours) permanent position. The position is fully remote with flexible daily hours.
- This role is open to UK residents or those with the right to work in the UK only
- Salary range of £24,000-28,000, dependent on experience
- Applications close on: October 1st at 9PM BST
The day-to-day activities include:
- Reading a wide variety of manuscript submissions with an eye for acquiring new titles that fit well within the existing Daphne Press list
- Creating reader reports on new submissions for team discussion
- Following a critical pathway to ensure books are on track for publication
- Creating and maintaining Biblio records
- Helping prepare manuscripts for printing
- Copywriting and helping with briefs
- Liaising with authors, editors, agents, marketing, publicity, plus our in-house team
- Managing freelancers using for typesetting and proofreading
- Checking page proofs
- Administrative support
- Contributing to team discussions on acquisitions, design, marketing, and strategy
The successful candidate will be knowledgeable about the current YA & Adult SFF markets and have a clear vision for what types of titles you want to work on and why. You will be an organised, motivated, creative individual with ideas on how to improve business practices. Prior experience in the publishing industry is desirable, but not required.
Who we are and what we do
Daphne Press launched in 2022, publishing original science fiction and fantasy works, and bringing the ethos of collaboration and beautiful packaging to the trade. We just had our first #1 Sunday Times Bestseller with Gabriela Romero Lacruz’s The Sun and the Void and we’re looking to continue publishing gorgeous, diverse SFF that takes the market by storm.
The press is looking to acquire commercial fiction from a diverse range of voices, and aims to champion debut authors and stories from typically underrepresented backgrounds. Our goal is to publish stellar science fiction and fantasy titles that entice readers (and our team). At Daphne Press, we love books in every capacity, and we’re seeking an editor that feels the same way.
How to apply
Please send a CV and cover letter to email@example.com
Within your cover letter, please include the following:
- Top three books read this year
- Top three upcoming releases
- A title you would have acquired for Daphne Press and why