Designer, Children’s Non-fiction Books
Bloomsbury Children’s Books are looking to recruit a Designer to work on our award-winning Non-fiction list.
We are looking for a highly creative, enthusiastic and passionate individual to design high duality, commercial designs across all forms of our Children's Non-fiction publishing, including non-fiction picture books, activity, novelty and mono books.
The Non-fiction list also includes publishing with partnered organisations such as The Woodland Trust, Kew and RSPB.
The successful candidate will have excellent layout, typographic and cover design skills and will be responsible for delivering their own assigned projects on time and to budget.
At Bloomsbury, we make our books collaboratively and the Designer will work closely with the Non-fiction editorial team.
This role reports to the Design Manager.
- Developing and overseeing projects from initial designs to final print-ready files under direction of the Design Manager.
- To be able to make considered illustrator selections for projects
- Liaise with agents and illustrators
- Draw up contracts for agented illustrators
- Ensuring projects are delivered on schedule and to budget
- Working closely with editorial and production team
- Maintaining excellent working relationships with illustrators and agents
- Supplying print ready files to production
- Managing the schedule of illustrators and freelance designers
Skills, knowledge and experience:
- A minimum of three years graphic design experience, preferably in children’s publishing
- Proficient in all creative suite programmes: InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator
- Experience of printing processes and knowledge of co-edition publishing
- Proven excellent ability in layout and cover design
- Practical, organised with a genuine interest in children’s non-fiction publishing
- Committed to maintaining our high standards of quality and integrity as we continue to plan and deliver growth
The role is based at our London office in Bedford Square, However, as all Bloomsbury employees are currently working from home this role will also be based from home until our offices reopen.
As well as a fantastic opportunity to join a global award-winning organisation, Bloomsbury offers competitive benefits and generous staff discounts.
To apply, please email your CV, a covering letter detailing how you meet the requirements outlined above for this role, examples of your work, and salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note in the subject line: ‘Designer Children’s Non-fiction BM 0708’
The closing date for applications is Friday 7th August 2020.