If you are looking for the next step from an Editorial Assistant role, then we have the ideal new role for you! We have an opportunity to join a leading educational publisher as Desk Editor to assist in the development of their prestigious range of Humanities / Computing (ICT) teaching and learning materials. This role offers a competitive salary and hybrid working (with 3 days per week in the London office).
As Desk Editor, reporting to the Commissioning Editor, you will work with in-house Editors and freelance project managers in the development of Humanities/ICT courses (print and digital) across sectors. Responsibilities will include:
- Copy editing and proofreading components
- Checking digital materials (e.g. printable resources, audio, videos)
- Creating and updating course style sheets and guidelines
- Photo research and photo selection
- Checking and commenting on proofs and cross checking components
- Helping to research/build a network of authors, freelancers and suppliers
- Assisting in the updating of schedules/project tracking
- Working towards assisting in the development phase of components (commenting on material)
- Working towards content editing of components in liaison with Commissioning Editors
- Working towards briefing and managing freelance collaborators and checking their work
The successful Desk Editor will have strong copy editing and proofreading experience, ideally in educational publishing or a related sector. As well as the ability to build and manage good relationships with third parties, the Desk Editor will have excellent attention to detail and strong communication and time management skills. Prior classroom experience as a Computing teacher, would be beneficial but by no means a must. To find out more get in touch ASAP!
For a full description of the role, please send your CV with a brief paragraph outlining your relevant skills.
Closing Date: Early applications may be prioritised.
** Inspired Search & Selection are a publishing recruitment specialist who operate an Equal Opportunities policy. We treat all employees and job applicants fairly and equally regardless of their sex, sexual orientation, marital status, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion, age, disability or union membership status.
In May 2019, Inspired Search & Selection pledged to promote The Book Trade Charity. As a charity, BTBS offer financial help to people (particularly those under the age of 30) looking for jobs in the book trade, including help with interview costs, to help support paid internships and work experience and for other opportunities for development. Please follow this link to check eligibility and further support.