DK is the world’s leading illustrated non-fiction publisher and we just celebrated our most successful year in our 49 year history. DK Licensing works with the biggest entertainment brands in the world to create bestselling books for devoted fans. We are looking for an ambitious Art Director to drive publishing excellence across our four distinct non-fiction lists.
The Art Director’s responsibility is to shape and propel the division’s creative strategy. They will expertly manage their team, galvanise and drive visual ambition and foster innovation, collaborating with the best designers, illustrators and photographers to create the most visually stunning non-fiction books on the market.
The right candidate will:
- Develop world-class book covers and interior styling, with excellent knowledge of how to elevate books with innovative finishes and packages
- Have a deep understanding of the illustrated non-fiction book market globally and how to apply cutting-edge design ideas to licensed publishing
- Manage two teams of experienced designers across both adult and children’s lists
- Confidently pitch to internal and external stakeholders, including licensors in the UK, US and internationally, and have the ability to bring people on board with new ideas and design directions
- Demonstrate inspired creative vision
- Have a trusted network of freelance talent who can execute your vision to the highest standard
- Be experienced in prioritising resource allocations across complex design projects in collaboration with Design Managers
- Work closely with our production team to ensure quality control and build on our strong production values
- Understand the needs of our teams in the US, Spain, Germany and other international markets to create compelling designs that appeal worldwide
DK Licensing publishes around 100 new books a year with brands including: LEGO, Marvel, Star Wars, Avatar, The Met, D&D, The Science Museum, Minecraft, Warner Bros. and many more. We also publish a growing range of pop culture titles as well as innovative gifting formats and collector’s editions that are coveted by fans worldwide.
Reporting directly to the Managing Director, you will lead the whole design function and join an experienced management team that works closely with each of our brand partners to create our well-loved books.
If you would like to join our talented team and have a clear vision for what the best licensed book design can be, please submit your CV, Cover Letter and Portfolio of your recent publishing.
Closing date for applications: 17 December 2023
We have a range of benefits to reflect our commitment to our people, some of which are:
- 25 days paid holiday entitlement in year one, plus bank holidays
- Generous pension scheme
- Volunteering policy and charity matching
- Employee assistance programme
- Cycle to work scheme and discounted gym membership
- Summer hours
And we plant a tree for every new employee to our business
DK is committed to building a diverse workforce that reflects the varied communities that read our books across the world. We encourage applications from all individuals, regardless of age, religion, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexuality or social background. DK is proud to announce that we have adopted The Halo Code.
DK supports flexible working and has introduced a new ‘smart-working’ policy with a hybrid approach of working weekly from home and in DK’s office.
The Book Trade Charity offers financial support to people looking to enter the book trade, but who may struggle to afford the costs of attending interviews or undertaking internships. For more information, visit www.booktradeentrysupport.org
About our Company:
We believe in the power of discovery. That's why we create books for everyone that explore ideas and nurture curiosity about the world we live in. From first words to the Big Bang, from the wonders of nature to city adventures, you will find expert knowledge, hours of fun and endless inspiration in the pages of our books.
We are the world's leading illustrated publisher and a member of the Penguin Random House division of Bertelsmann, creating cutting-edge design and stunning visual books for the whole family. We are passionate about inspiring curiosity and bring people to books through their thirst for knowledge. With a global book loving community of over 800 colleagues in the UK, US, Germany, India, China, Spain and Australia, we produce books in over 100 countries and over 60 languages. Find out more on dk.com.