Associate Scout (Children’s & YA)
Daniela Schlingmann Literary Scouting Ltd. works with a host of outstanding international publishers around the world and several British film & TV clients to find the very best fiction, non-fiction and children's books from the UK and the US to be published in translation, and to be adapted for film & TV.
Job title: Associate Scout (Children’s & YA)
We are a friendly and nurturing team looking for an energetic and hard-working Associate Scout to join our children’s scouting team. They will help find key titles from the UK, the US and international markets and assist in reporting on them to our international publishers and our film & TV clients. Further, key responsibilities will include expanding their network of industry contacts and using it to pull in new projects; building strong relationships with our clients and communicating with them on a daily basis; and provide general administrative support to the children’s and in-house teams. As we work closely with the US market, some liaising with US contacts will be required outside of regular work hours.
The Ideal Candidate
Scouting is exciting, varied and very fast-paced, so we are looking for candidates who are highly organised and diligent, and able to remain cool-headed in a busy working environment. They should show good judgement, communicate well and enjoy working as part of a team. Candidates will have at least two years’ experience of full-time employment in the publishing industry. They could come from a scouting, rights or editorial background, where an existing network of industry contacts is a bonus, as is an interest in foreign book markets. They will be a fast and precise reader of children’s and young adult literature, and be able to report confidently and clearly on the content, style and commercial value of books. The ability to speak any other European languages is very welcome, as is multi-national citizenship.
The ideal candidate will be passionate about, and experienced in, children’s and young adult publishing. Additional interest or prior experience in Graphic Novels and Sci-Fi and Fantasy would be advantageous.
Responsibilities and duties
- Building and maintaining a network of relationships with editor and agent contacts in the UK and US, alongside the Children’s Scout.
- Assisting in scheduling physical and virtual meetings with US/UK contacts and DSLS clients regularly throughout the year.
- Reading submissions and writing and proofreading related reports to tight deadlines.
- Liaising with clients to inform them of titles and answer their queries with a view to forge close working relationships with them.
- Entering key information onto our database, requesting and chasing materials, and logging responses from clients.
- Assisting with bookfair organisation, by scheduling appointments for both the DSLS team and our clients and attending as required.
- Representing DSLS by attending industry events.
- Following industry news and social media to report on market developments and industry changes in the UK and US.
- Providing miscellaneous and ongoing scouting related admin support to the rest of the team.
Full time - Primarily working from home, with up to one day a week in our West London office, or when required.
£24-28k p.a. depending on experience.
Benefits include flexible working, pension scheme, eye care voucher scheme, Cycle to Work voucher scheme, allowance for setting up home-working station.
To apply, email email@example.com stating ‘Associate Scout (Children’s)’ in your subject line. Please send your CV and a covering letter and include your earliest availability. If the role sounds interesting, do not hesitate to get in touch to find out the specifics before applying.
Applications will close 23rd October 2023, but we reserve the right to close the recruitment process early if we have found the right candidate.
We aim to be an equal opportunities employer and are determined to ensure that no applicant or employee receives less favourable treatment on the grounds of gender, age, disability, religion, sexual orientation or race.