Redwood Publishing Recruitment have been retained by Healthcare Infection Society (HIS) to recruit an Editorial Production Manager. The Editorial and Production Manager (EPM) will report directly to the CEO and will work closely with the journal editors and the staff team to develop innovative ways to engage with, support and grow the Journal of Hospital Infection (JHI) and Infection Prevention in Practice (IPIP) and the HIS membership.
The EPM will be responsible for the strategic development of the JHI and IPIP. The EPM will operate with high levels of initiative and drive; bringing a sophisticated understanding of the wider publishing and knowledge environment that HIS is working in, and to develop and deliver new initiatives that will facilitate the growth of HIS membership, the impact of the journals and journal sales.
We are looking for a dynamic, enthusiastic and friendly team player who is excited by the prospect of being a key player in a growing membership organisation that is committed to growing and developing its journals. This is a senior role, and the post-holder will be expected to think innovatively, strategically and work with significant autonomy, as well as acting as an ambassador for the organisation.
HIS is an organisation with a specialised remit and this role has tremendous potential for the right candidate to shine, develop their career and have significant impact. We are looking for someone with a strong interest in the biological sciences, healthcare (specifically microbiology or infection prevention and control) who wants to play a pivotal role in developing this unique and important journal and membership organisation.
At all times, you will need to ensure that editors, authors and members have the best possible experience in their dealings with HIS. We are looking for an engaging communicator with a keen interest in strategic development and analysis. The candidate should have at least five years’ prior experience of working in a senior role within a publishing/membership organisation. In addition, you will be an organised and creative problem-solver with excellent written and verbal communication skills, plus an in-depth knowledge of publishing. You will be comfortable engaging with, and where required, providing secretariat support to multiple committees comprised of clinicians and researchers.
Key Responsibilities will involve:
• Journals article management and production
• Develop and deliver the HIS publications strategy
• Support and engage journal boards and committees
• Grow UK and international reach and submissions to the journals
• Ensure support staff and suppliers are working efficiently and achieving all set deliverables
• Manage the journals communications content on the HIS website and social media platforms
• Manage and commission content for the HIS blogs
Required Skills, Experience and Knowledge:
• Graduate or post-graduate qualification in a biological science (or equivalent)
• Experience of working in a (and strong understanding of) publishing role in a learned society
• Understanding of the learned society publishing sector
• Business acumen and marketing abilities
• Journal/magazine production
• Demonstrated exceptional editing skills and an eye for detail and accuracy, including thorough fact checking
• Demonstrated ability to manage and prioritise editorial workflow, including strong forward planning and producing content to strict deadlines (essential)
• Significant experience of developing special issues and commissioning
• Experience of developing editorial boards
• Demonstrated experience of working with professional committees and working parties
• Knowledge of compliance, specifically as it relates to financial management and data protection
Personal Qualities and Competencies:
• An in-depth knowledge of editorial management systems
• Demonstrated ability to act as a Senior ambassador and to represent HIS at conferences nationally and internationally
• Excellent interpersonal skills
• Strong organisational skills
• Knowledgeable – a good knowledge and keen interest in biology, healthcare or ideally microbiology and infection prevention and control
• Demonstrated ability to be innovative and come up with new ideas to grow journal submissions
• Demonstrated ability to collaborate with internal and external stakeholders
• Skilled communicator – the ability to communicate effectively and to forge strong relationships with all levels of staff and stakeholders, both internal and external in writing and conversation
• Demonstrated change and improvement mind set
• Able to adapt to constantly developing circumstances and challenges
• Demonstrated ability to plan and prioritise a complex work load
• Permanent contract
• Opportunities for national and international travel
• Pension plan and Perkbox subscription
• Employee assistance programme
• Networking opportunities attending conferences, dinners and drinks receptions
• 30 days annual leave plus bank holidays and time off in lieu for weekend work
• A generous training budget to support your knowledge of the sector as it develops, and your continued professional development
£35-£45k based on experience. This role is full-time, based in the HIS central London office in King’s Cross until December 2019 when they will relocate to Bloomsbury.
Please forward your CV and a covering letter of no more than two A4 pages, outlining your interest and suitability for this role to email@example.com. The deadline for applications is 5pm on 10th September 2019. Please note that only applications submitted through Redwood Publishing Recruitment will be considered.
Interviews will take place the week commencing 16 September 2019.