A prestigious UK society with an international membership is looking to recruit an experienced Editorial Manager to work on its monthly peer-reviewed scientific journal. Reporting to the Editor-in-Chief, the Editorial Manager will work closely with the journal’s four other Editorial Managers and further members of the editorial team.
The core function of the Editorial Manager is to work with the other Editorial Managers, supervising and overseeing unsolicited submissions through all stages from submission to initial decision, through revision to acceptance. The Editorial Manager will also work with the other Editorial Managers to facilitate the smooth running of the journal, monitoring and prioritising the workload and sharing tasks.
This role offers the flexibility of working four or five days per week and will primarily work on a remote basis with one or two required monthly meetings in London and one annual three-day meeting, usually in Windsor.
Some of the key responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Checking new submissions into the online system and forwarding to Regional Editor and Deputy Regional Editors for initial triage
- Assigning Senior Editors as instructed by Regional Editors
- Monitoring all stages of articles under review
- Checking and editing decisions as appropriate before despatch
- Providing editors with guidance, training and support as required on ScholarOne Manuscripts
- Dealing with editor and author queries at all stages of the submission process and post publication
- Appropriate handling of appealed decisions
The successful applicant will have proven editorial management experience in an academic/scientific journal publishing environment, with experience of working with the ScholarOne online submissions system, or another similar system (essential). You will have a track record of managing multiple projects to deadlines and a strong eye for detail, along with great organisation and communication skills, and the ability to multi-task. It is also essential that the successful person has the ability to work independently as well as part of a team and has a strong command of the English language.
For further information on this role please send your CV and a short cover note in the first instance, outlining your interest and salary expectations to: email@example.com or for a confidential discussion please call us on 0207 048 6223.
The closing date for applications is 20th March 2023