Would you be interested in joining an award-winning and innovative academic publisher?
Are you looking to progress your career in publishing?
We have an exciting opportunity for a Commissioning Assistant to join our team. Our West Yorkshire offices have opened up but this role can be fully remote so we’re open to applications from anywhere in the UK.
Who Are Emerald:
Emerald Publishing is a global publisher linking research and practice. Founded in 1967 to champion new ideas that advance research and practice. Today, we continue to nurture fresh thinking in applied fields where we feel we can make a real difference. We publish over 300 journals, more than 2,500 books and over 1,500 case studies, via our dedicated research platform. Part of Emerald Group, a global learning organisation, with a presence in 130 countries worldwide.
Role & Team:
As Commissioning Assistant you’ll provide support to the Books teams in our Publishing department, across a number of allocated subject portfolios. This will involve providing dedicated administrative support for the book publishing team, conducting market research to support portfolio growth and development, and deputizing for Commissioning Editors in their absence. In time, you may even have the opportunity to manage a small portfolio and build your publishing experience.
What You’ll Be Doing:
- You will manage the proposal peer review process for your allocated subject portfolios, managing multiple projects at once, supporting multiple editors to achieve their commissioning targets
- You will prepare the contracts for all new book signings for your portfolios, and ensure key bibliographic information for each project is added to systems
- You will assist the Commissioning Editor or Senior Commissioning Editor in carrying out individual research projects as directed
- Provide support for project work and effective cross-functional working to help to achieve department targets
- Action royalties and author/reviewer payments
- You will have the opportunity to support marketing and social media, arrange conference materials, support internal and external award programmes, and assist with the management of the forward programme and backlist.
- You’ll draw on your publishing or marketing experience gained either through a commercial environment or through studies to work cross functionally with colleagues
You will have the freedom to work autonomously within a supportive and development focussed environment to build your existing knowledge, and learn about subject communities and publishing practices. You will have the opportunity to get involved in projects as part of your personal development.
What the team say…..
What I love about the team is how we all work together to achieve common goals. We're all driven by the desire to publish great books and give our authors the best experience. Our team spirit and can-do attitude inspires me daily! – Katy Mathers, Commissioning Editor, Sociology
What’s in It for You:
We value our people. Becoming a part of our team means you’ll join a trusting and flexible environment with numerous opportunities to progress your career, as well as access to professional development and the opportunity to learn new skills.
You’ll receive a wide range of benefits, such as flexible working and working from home, performance bonus, 6% pension contribution, a generous holiday allowance, life assurance and various benefits aimed at supporting your wellbeing and work-life balance.
****Please apply ASAP as interviews may be conducted and the role offered before the closing date********