Commissioning Lead - Journals
We have a new vacancy at Emerald Publishing! A great opportunity for a Commissioning Lead- Journals to join us and play a leading role in our journals publishing team.
Our Yorkshire offices have now opened back up, but fully flexible working is our new norm. This means we are completely flexible on location.
Who Are Emerald?
Emerald Publishing is a global publisher linking research and practice. Founded in 1967 to champion new ideas that advance research and practice. Today, we continue to nurture fresh thinking in applied fields where we feel we can make a real difference. We publish over 300 journals, more than 2,500 books and over 1,500 case studies, via our dedicated research platform. We are part of Emerald Group, a global learning organisation with a presence in 130 countries worldwide, bringing together Emerald Publishing and Emerald Works.
The Role & Team:
As Commissioning Lead-Journals within Emerald Publishing, you will be acting as line manager for a dedicated journals team, responsible for the strategic development of content for an allocated portfolio, actively commissioning content and focusing on increasing our output aimed at delivering real world societal impact. You will work closely with the wider Publishing team, expanding networks within relevant subject communities to support increased direct commissioning of content, open research and services, and acting as an advocate for Emerald to ensure we are a leading voice for our chosen communities.
We need someone who…
- Has experience of managing and developing a team, who can identify opportunities to coach and support team members to ensure Emerald’s expectations are met.
- Can display proactive and innovative approaches to way of working which maximises time and resource aligned to our growth strategies and portfolio segmentation
- Has proven journals publishing experience, working to strategic priorities and portfolio targets.
- Is passionate about research aligned to delivering real societal impact.
- Has the drive to expand their existing network and act as an advocate for Emerald.
- Has the ability to create and own a strategic development plan, building a strong pipeline of journal articles and other relevant digital content.
- Embraces innovation and new ways of working.
- Has excellent, proven relationship management/building skills, and an ability to work cross-functionally.
- Has excellent working knowledge of the rapidly evolving academic publishing environment – for example in respect of open research.
The ideal candidate will be a team player who is proactive, enthusiastic and passionate about their subject communities, and who has the ability to inspire that passion in others. Someone who is solutions-driven and committed to the idea that research should help to provide answers to real world challenges.
What the Team say…..
As a Commissioning Lead I get to contribute towards the development of a great team of people. I am also able to aid in the strategic development of our journals program which is going through an exciting stage as we put societal impact and support of the UN sustainable development goals at the heart of our work. All in all this makes for a challenging and rewarding role.
Within this role you will have the freedom to get involved in a wide range of projects, both departmental and business wide which will offer the opportunity to expand your skills and knowledge. You will be trusted to work autonomously and encouraged to explore new ideas and ways of working.
** Please apply ASAP as interviews will start before the closing date and the advert may close earlier than listed**