Content Development Editor
Are you a publishing and editorial professional looking for your next challenge in a books focused role?
We have an exciting opportunity for a Content Development Editor to join our team. Our West Yorkshire office has just opened up but this role can be fully remote so we are open to applications from anywhere in the UK.
Who Are Emerald:
Emerald Group is a global learning organisation, with a presence in 130 countries worldwide. While its roots are in publishing, and bringing research to life, the Group's corporate learning division provides learners with the insight and tools they need to overcome challenges, improve performance and excel in the workplace.
Role & Team:
The Content Development Editor facilitates the Editorial onboarding of new products and content types enabling frictionless delivery of new products to Production working primarily on our books programme.
In the role you’ll oversee the delivery of a portfolio of books in line with Emerald’s standards of timely delivery, quality, customer service, and cost control. You’ll train and support the supplier Book Project Editors (BPEs) in day-to-day activities, including system support, on-time processing of books, problem solving, and effective communication to authors and book editors. You will also be involved in writing back cover copy and liaising with designers on cover designs.
You will be working in partnership with external vendors and internal and external product stakeholders, providing expert advice and guidance on the Editorial onboarding of all new products and content types.
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Training, coaching, and supporting a team of external Book Project Editors across a portfolio of allocated titles; providing expert advice on rights/permissions/copyright queries and acting as an escalation point for author and editor queries.
- Writing back cover copy and liaising with designers on cover designs.
- Ensuring the timely announcement of titles to market using BooksoniX.
- Monitor and support the work of the Book Project Editors to ensure quality control, accurate metadata and on time delivery of projects.
- Act as a liaison between the book commissioning and BPE teams, reporting on allocated portfolio performance and resolving any problems that need escalation from the team.
- Provide new cases content integration and act as named point of contact for product development.
Who We’re looking For:
- Do you have a mindset of continuous improvement?
- We’re looking for someone who can demonstrate an understanding of the changing landscape of academic publishing and the production environment and will actively participate or lead projects that support Emerald’s mission.
- Experience of coaching, negotiating with confidence, training, and managing remote teams would be desirable.
- We’re also looking for someone with the ability to work to deadlines, advanced organisation, problem solving and decision making skills
- Equally value in this role is conflict resolution and the ability to resolve editorial conflicts and disputes.
- In addition, knowledge of ScholarOne submission systems, or books systems such as TMS or Trackit, is highly desirable.
What the team say…..
What I love about working here is the focus on my personal development and the ample opportunity to learn new skills- it’s been an eye-opening and uniquely positive experience!
What’s in It for You:
We value our people. Becoming a part of our team means you’ll join a trusting and flexible environment with numerous opportunities to progress your career, as well as access to professional development and the opportunity to learn new skills.
You’ll receive a wide range of benefits, such as flexible working and working from home, up to 20% performance bonus, 6% pension contribution, a generous holiday allowance, life assurance and various benefits aimed at supporting your wellbeing and work-life balance.