We are looking for an innovative and strategic Executive Editor to manage the publishing strategy of a portfolio of STM journals for a very prestigious university press. These journals are world-leading in their field and have a global reach, and the Executive Editor will have a crucial role in the launch of a new journal for the Physics and Fluid Mechanics portfolio. They will be responsible for ensuring this new journal matches the rest of the portfolio in value and eminence in the field, and that it establishes itself as world-class and a first choice in the subject area.
The role is ideally based in Cambridge, but partial remote working in the UK will also be considered.
Main responsibilities of the role:
- Creating and implementing a journal development strategy aiming to maximise reputation, performance, quality and profitability
- Overseeing the running of the journals through publication workflow, working closely with the team to deliver standards for authors, researchers, editors, and peer-reviewers
- Building and maintaining strong relationships with editors and boards, and be able to offer expert and trusted advise on the journal's performance
- Building a network of collaborators in the field, including key institutions, research centres and organisations
- Negotiating contracts and agreements with partners and editors
- Setting budgets, forecasts and targets, and issuing regular reports to publishing partners
- Keeping on top of trends and new developments in fluid mechanics and related scientific areas, to identify emerging topics of interest
The ideal candidate will be able to bring experience and market knowledge to the role, ideally coming from an STM journal background, and demonstrate the ability and enthusiasm to lead a major journal launch. It would be great if you had relevant subject knowledge, whether through your academic career or publishing experience, as well as a good understanding of Open Access and Open Research.
For a full description of the role, please send your CV with a brief paragraph outlining your relevant skills.
Closing Date: Early applications may be prioritised.
** Inspired Search & Selection are a publishing recruitment specialist who operate an Equal Opportunities policy. We treat all employees and job applicants fairly and equally regardless of their sex, sexual orientation, marital status, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion, age, disability or union membership status.
In May 2019, Inspired Search & Selection pledged to promote The Book Trade Charity. As a charity, BTBS offer financial help to people (particularly those under the age of 30) looking for jobs in the book trade, including help with interview costs, to help support paid internships and work experience and for other opportunities for development. Please follow this link to check eligibility and further support.