We are on a mission to make science open so everyone can live healthy lives on a healthy planet
Who we are
Frontiers is an award-winning open science platform and leading open access scholarly publisher.
We are one of the largest and most cited publishers globally. To date, our 200,000 freely available research articles have received more than 1 billion views and downloads and 2 million citations. Our journals span science, health, humanities and social sciences, engineering, and sustainability. And we continue to expand into new academic disciplines so more researchers can publish open access.
Be part of the publishing revolution and help us transform the way research is published, evaluated, and communicated to the world.
We have a fantastic and rare opportunity for a driven and target-oriented publishing professional to join us as Head of Program - Commissioning within our Publishing Development department. Reporting to the Associate Director of Publishing Development, the Head of Program is responsible for the growth and development of multiple Frontiers titles within a Publishing Program. Working closely with senior managers across the Publishing departments and other key internal stakeholders, you will contribute to developing company-wide strategies to drive high-quality growth.
- Leads a program of multiple journals and their teams within a defined scope, responsible for overall team performance, staff management, external stakeholder collaboration and editorial office projects.
- Responsible for the growth and development of Frontiers journals within the editorial program and accountable for defining and meeting program targets and objectives (OKRs – objectives and key results).
- Drives program growth and development through content acquisition, informed by competitor and market analysis and success measured by OKRs.
- Represents the interests of the program within the company and provides effective interface with the other departments in addition to bringing strategic value to the program.
- Inspiring and providing guidance to Commissioning Managers and Portfolio Managers towards better performance. Defining, implementing and monitoring policies/ procedures to ensure program quality.
- Contributing to developing company-wide strategic plans, policies and new initiatives.
- Representing the company in an official role to external stakeholders.
- Extensive experience in academic publishing
- Demonstrated experience in a managerial role and a proven track record of people management
- Excellent leadership, with the ability to influence and align stakeholders across all levels
- Strong business acumen, strategic thinking and analytical skills
- Proven ability to understand complex data and make decisions effectively
- Technical proficiency, with advance skills using current software (particularly MS Excel and Salesforce)
Your application should include:
- A cover letter and resume
- The indication of your earliest availability
With more than 50 nationalities represented in our global team, you will work regularly with teammates in other countries, and with our community of researchers, editors, and authors from around the globe.
Our mission to create solutions for healthy lives also extends to the working environment we provide for our employees.
100% remote working
Employees now have the flexibility to choose where they want to work, with remote working available on a part- or full-time basis (not applicable to some Workplace/IT jobs due to nature of role requiring presence onsite, in the office).
Learning and development
All employees have access to LinkedIn Learning (and Pluralsight for our technology team), an annual personal learning budget, and dedicated L&D time.
We offer free online yoga classes, an employee assistance plan, access to the Headspace app, and four wellbeing days on top of your annual leave allowance.
Employees can dedicate three days each year to volunteer for a personal cause or through our volunteering partner platform, Alaya.
Frontiers actively embraces diversity and is a safe and welcoming workplace. Recruitment is free from discrimination – including based on race, national or ethnic origin, age, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or sexual orientation. With over 600 employees from more than 50 different nations, our diversity creates vibrant teams and constantly challenges us to appreciate multiple perspectives.