We are on a mission to make science open so everyone can live healthy lives on a healthy planet
Who we are
Frontiers is an award-winning open science platform and leading open access scholarly publisher.
We are one of the largest and most cited publishers globally. To date, our 200,000 freely available research articles have received more than 1 billion views and downloads and 2 million citations. Our journals span science, health, humanities and social sciences, engineering, and sustainability. And we continue to expand into new academic disciplines so more researchers can publish open access.
Be part of the publishing revolution and help us transform the way research is published, evaluated, and communicated to the world.
We are looking for a driven and target-oriented professional to join our team as a new Head of Review Operations. Reporting to the Director of Publishing Operations, you will be responsible for leading programs of multiple journal portfolios and their teams, including the publication performance of the program, staff management, and cross-departmental and internal stakeholder collaboration.
• Lead the publishing programs' growth and development to reach departmental and company goals.
• Line manage and lead a number of Review Operations Portfolio Managers. Be responsible for staff recruitment, team organization, and training organization for team members.
• Drive progress according to targets, ensuring that the team meets the agreed Objectives and Key Results (OKRs) and defined performance plans, focusing on providing quality standards during the peer review process.
• Communicate, collaborate, and present progress to the senior leadership.
• Optimize workflows, update guidelines, and liaise with your line manager to define development requirements with the Product Management team.
• Draft new procedures, templates, and policies as required, and review them with your line manager.
• Oversee key projects to improve team efficiency, processes, and inter-team collaborations.
• Maintain ongoing communication between departments to foster an environment of continuous improvement and optimization of review processes.
• Significant experience in a similar role within academic/STM publishing is essential.
• Solid track record of delivering projects in a target-driven environment.
• Demonstrated experience in effective line management, leading and developing a team to be successful.
• A target-driven mindset with a proactive attitude and a strong commercial awareness.
• Aptitude for digesting large amounts of information and reacting effectively to urgent situations.
• Excellent communication skills, including influencing and resilience and leading teams through change.
• Sound and mature judgment, decisive and tactful when working with multiple stakeholders.
• Excellent command of the English language (written and verbal).
• Ability to work with data, analyze and present results.
Your application must include:
1. Your latest CV and a tailored cover letter in English
2. Your current notice period
Please note the deadline for applications is 27 August 2022.
With more than 50 nationalities represented in our global team, you will work regularly with teammates in other countries, and with our community of researchers, editors, and authors from around the globe.
Our mission to create solutions for healthy lives also extends to the working environment we provide for our employees.
100% remote working
Employees now have the flexibility to choose where they want to work, with remote working available on a part- or full-time basis (not applicable to some Workplace/IT jobs due to nature of role requiring presence onsite, in the office).
Learning and development
All employees have access to LinkedIn Learning (and Pluralsight for our technology team), an annual personal learning budget, and dedicated L&D time.
We offer free online yoga classes, an employee assistance plan, access to the Headspace app, and four wellbeing days on top of your annual leave allowance.
Employees can dedicate three days each year to volunteer for a personal cause or through our volunteering partner platform, Alaya.
Frontiers actively embraces diversity and is a safe and welcoming workplace. Recruitment is free from discrimination – including based on race, national or ethnic origin, age, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or sexual orientation. With over 600 employees from more than 50 different nations, our diversity creates vibrant teams and constantly challenges us to appreciate multiple perspectives.