Journal Launch Manager
We are on a mission to make science open so everyone can live healthy lives on a healthy planet
Who we are
Frontiers is an award-winning open science platform and leading open access scholarly publisher.
We are one of the largest and most cited publishers globally. To date, our 200,000 freely available research articles have received more than 1 billion views and downloads and 2 million citations. Our journals span science, health, humanities and social sciences, engineering, and sustainability. And we continue to expand into new academic disciplines so more researchers can publish open access.
Be part of the publishing revolution and help us transform the way research is published, evaluated, and communicated to the world.
If you are passionate about science, have strong experience in academic publishing and enjoy leading teams – this could be a great opportunity for you! We are seeking a driven and target-oriented professional for the position of Journal Launch Manager.
The Journal Launch Manager is responsible for managing a portfolio of new journal launches and will line-manage a team of Journal Launch Specialists. You will be working closely with members across multiple Editorial Teams, be a trusted advisor for internal and external stakeholders and arrive at solution-oriented approaches to deliver scalable growth. The Journal Launch Manager role requires the ability to inspire across all levels, the successful candidate will have excellent interpersonal skills which will enable them to effectively lead a team who will engage with high-profile scholars and interface with other departments.
- Lead a team to deliver new journal products across the "Frontiers in" title series and the Publishing Partnerships journals, and other potential growth areas
- Deliver these products successfully and on time by inspiring the team to achieve set milestones and targets for Editorial Board creation and commissioning strategies
- Identify new editorial areas of interest for the business using competitor and market analysis, undertaken in collaboration with the Business Intelligence team
- Manage and lead a team of Journal Launch Specialists: responsible for their training and providing continuous development as well as performance feedback and appraisals; primary escalation point for higher-level issues encountered by their team
- Work with the Head of Journal Launch and Launch Portfolio Managers to ensure policies, procedures, methods, and guidelines are updated to guide employee actions most efficiently
- Collaborate with internal departments to ensure efficiency and scalability of journal launch operations
- Represent the company to external stakeholders
You are a target driven individual with excellent interpersonal and communication skills. You enjoy leading teams and are a collaborative team player, working closely with members of supporting teams. You will also be confident in working with data to perform market analyses of the competitor publishing landscape.
- Demonstrated experience in an academic publishing house, and/or strong project management experience
- A degree or higher is preferred, with a keen interest in dissemination of research
- Demonstrated experience in leading a team would be an advantage
- Aptitude for digesting large amounts of information, and reacting effectively to urgent situations
- Ability to work independently, be highly organized and meet deadlines
- Sound and mature judgment; decisive and tactful when working with multiple stakeholders
- Technical proficiency using current software (particularly MS Excel, Salesforce would also be advantageous) and a knowledge of social networks and social media platforms
- Excellence in written and spoken English
Your application must include:
1. A cover letter and CV
2. The indication of your earliest availability
With more than 50 nationalities represented in our global team, you will work regularly with teammates in other countries, and with our community of researchers, editors, and authors from around the globe.
Our mission to create solutions for healthy lives also extends to the working environment we provide for our employees.
100% remote working
Employees now have the flexibility to choose where they want to work, with remote working available on a part- or full-time basis (not applicable to some Workplace/IT jobs due to nature of role requiring presence onsite, in the office).
Learning and development
All employees have access to LinkedIn Learning (and Pluralsight for our technology team), an annual personal learning budget, and dedicated L&D time.
We offer free online yoga classes, an employee assistance plan, access to the Headspace app, and four wellbeing days on top of your annual leave allowance.
Employees can dedicate three days each year to volunteer for a personal cause or through our volunteering partner platform, Alaya.
Frontiers actively embraces diversity and is a safe and welcoming workplace. Recruitment is free from discrimination – including based on race, national or ethnic origin, age, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or sexual orientation. With over 600 employees from more than 50 different nations, our diversity creates vibrant teams and constantly challenges us to appreciate multiple perspectives.