Journal Manager - Health & Biomedicine
We are on a mission to make science open so everyone can live healthy lives on a healthy planet
Who we are
Frontiers is an award-winning open science platform and leading open access scholarly publisher.
We are one of the largest and most cited publishers globally. To date, our 200,000 freely available research articles have received more than 1 billion views and downloads and 2 million citations. Our journals span science, health, humanities and social sciences, engineering, and sustainability. And we continue to expand into new academic disciplines so more researchers can publish open access.
Be part of the publishing revolution and help us transform the way research is published, evaluated, and communicated to the world.
If you are passionate about science, have strong publishing and/or project management experience and enjoy leading teams – this could be a great opportunity for you!
We are seeking a driven and target-oriented professional for the role of Journal Manager to join our Health & Biomedicine program. Working closely with members across multiple Editorial Teams, you will be a trusted advisor for internal and external stakeholders. You will creatively develop solutions to deliver strong journal growth after launch through the strategic development of content acquisition initiatives, as well as building and leveraging strong relationships with the Editorial Boards of leading academics.
- Manage the journal to deliver ambitious targets and objectives
- Drive journal growth and development through Editor engagement, article collections and section launches, informed by competitor and market analysis
- Build strong relationships with high-profile scholars and pro-actively manage the Editorial Boards
- Represent the company to external stakeholders and promote the portfolio at international conferences
- Manage and lead a team of Journal Specialists and supporting team members across multiple Editorial departments
- Collaborate with internal departments to ensure efficiency and scalability of journal operations
- Lead internal editorial projects and initiatives to bring further strategic value and growth opportunities for the company
You are a target driven individual with excellent interpersonal and communication skills. You enjoy leading teams and are a collaborative team player, working closely with members of supporting teams. You will also be confident in working with data to perform market analyses of the competitor publishing landscape, identifying new areas for growth to inform our editorial strategies.
- Demonstrated experience in an academic publishing house, and/or strong project management experience
- A degree or higher is preferred, with a keen interest in dissemination of research
- Demonstrated experience in leading a team would be an advantage
- Aptitude for digesting large amounts of information, and reacting effectively to urgent situations
- Ability to work independently, be highly organized and meet deadlines
- Sound and mature judgment; decisive and tactful when working with multiple stakeholders
- Technical proficiency, with hands-on skills using current software (particularly MS Excel) –
- Excellence in written and spoken English
Your application should include:
- A cover letter and resume
- The indication of your earliest availability
With more than 50 nationalities represented in our global team, you will work regularly with teammates in other countries, and with our community of researchers, editors, and authors from around the globe.
Our mission to create solutions for healthy lives also extends to the working environment we provide for our employees.
100% remote working
Employees now have the flexibility to choose where they want to work, with remote working available on a part- or full-time basis (not applicable to some Business Support jobs due to nature of role).
Learning and development
All employees have access to LinkedIn Learning (and Pluralsight for our technology team), an annual personal learning budget, and dedicated L&D time.
We offer free online yoga classes, an employee assistance plan, access to the Headspace app, and four wellbeing days on top of your annual leave allowance.
Employees can dedicate three days each year to volunteer for a personal cause or through our volunteering partner platform, Alaya.
Frontiers actively embraces diversity and is a safe and welcoming workplace. Recruitment is free from discrimination – including based on race, national or ethnic origin, age, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or sexual orientation. With over 600 employees from more than 50 different nations, our diversity creates vibrant teams and constantly challenges us to appreciate multiple perspectives.