We are on a mission to make science open so everyone can live healthy lives on a healthy planet
Who we are
Frontiers is an award-winning open science platform and leading open access scholarly publisher.
We are one of the largest and most cited publishers globally. To date, our 200,000 freely available research articles have received more than 1 billion views and downloads and 2 million citations. Our journals span science, health, humanities and social sciences, engineering, and sustainability. And we continue to expand into new academic disciplines so more researchers can publish open access.
Be part of the publishing revolution and help us transform the way research is published, evaluated, and communicated to the world.
We are seeking a target-driven professional with strong business acumen and a proven track-record in people management and leadership for a Portfolio Manager position within the Commissioning Team. The successful candidate will oversee a portfolio of journals and will work very closely with the Head of Program and the other Portfolio Managers.
Reporting to the Head of the Program the Portfolio Manager will:
- Represent the interests of the portfolio and provide an effective interface with other departments.
- Ensure portfolio-wide alignment and collaboration internally and externally.
- Collaborate with internal departments to ensure the efficiency and scalability of the portfolio operations.
- Oversee projects to increase efficiency, accelerate growth and bring further strategic value to Frontiers with a proactive, solution-oriented attitude.
- Represent the portfolio in an official role to external stakeholders.
- Align and collaborate with the Head of Program to ensure the overall success of the Commissioning team ensuring the targets and objectives are met on time.
- Recommend to the Head of Program strategic plans and initiatives for the growth and development of the portfolio.
- Support Head of Program with recommendations for strategic initiatives for the Commissioning team.
- Lead of a team of Commissioning Managers and Specialists who are responsible for overall team performance, recruitment, and training of new team members, as well as their continued professional development.
- Recruit, on-board, coach and provide continued professional development to Commissioning Managers within the portfolio.
- Lead internal editorial projects and initiatives to bring further strategic value and growth opportunities for the company.
- Proven track record of people management and leadership, with the ability to influence and align multiple stakeholders on a focused objective.
- Demonstrated prior experience in recruiting, onboarding, coaching, and supporting team members.
- Proven demonstration of business acumen through the implementation of high-level initiatives.
- Impactful communication skills to present strategies at all levels.
- A thrive-change mentality with excellent motivational skills to deliver the company’s mission.
- The ability to work independently with sound and mature judgement to contribute to the success of the portfolio.
- Strong understanding of the publishing landscape.
- Experiencing successfully leading projects to develop and contribute to growth strategies.
Your application should include:
- A cover letter and resume
- The indication of your earliest availability
With more than 50 nationalities represented in our global team, you will work regularly with teammates in other countries, and with our community of researchers, editors, and authors from around the globe.
Our mission to create solutions for healthy lives also extends to the working environment we provide for our employees.
100% remote working
Employees now have the flexibility to choose where they want to work, with remote working available on a part- or full-time basis (not applicable to some Workplace/IT jobs due to nature of role requiring presence onsite, in the office).
Learning and development
All employees have access to LinkedIn Learning (and Pluralsight for our technology team), an annual personal learning budget, and dedicated L&D time.
We offer free online yoga classes, an employee assistance plan, access to the Headspace app, and four wellbeing days on top of your annual leave allowance.
Employees can dedicate three days each year to volunteer for a personal cause or through our volunteering partner platform, Alaya.
Frontiers actively embraces diversity and is a safe and welcoming workplace. Recruitment is free from discrimination – including based on race, national or ethnic origin, age, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or sexual orientation. With over 600 employees from more than 50 different nations, our diversity creates vibrant teams and constantly challenges us to appreciate multiple perspectives.