Editor / Senior Editor (d/f/m)
gestalten is hiring an experienced Editor or Senior Editor (d/f/m) to join our Editorial team. Reporting to the Head of Acquisition and the Publisher directly, you conceive, acquire, evaluate and develop around 7-12 illustrated books a year, bringing content expertise and revenue opportunities. Categories include Architecture, Interior, Graphic Design, Art, Outdoor, and Mobility.
We’re looking for someone with a demonstrable background in the world of publishing and a strong network, who’s up on the latest trends, has something to say about upcoming movements, and who is confident and competent in scoping market-focused products.
This is a full-time position. The role is based in Berlin (Germany) and can be partially remote.
Where your expertise is needed:
- You own the long-term vision and strategy to create commercially successful publications, maintain a deep competitive awareness, and think big to identify opportunities worthy of investment.
- Together with the Head of Acquisition, you evaluate the strategic and economic potential of projects and assess their quality, originality, and product-market-fit.
- You set the editorial direction by creating strong and convincing editorial concepts.
- You understand the skills, strengths, and weaknesses of authors and co-editors and identify the best team to produce a particular title.
- You work closely with the project management team to oversee the content production and monitor the progress of the book until it is published.
- You ensure that all content is edited to conform to the concept by creating clear briefings and having regular check-ins with internal and external stakeholders, such as writers, photo editors, and designers.
What do we expect from you?
- A journalistic background and at least five years of working experience in the book industry and in publishing of illustrated books.
- A profound interest and knowledge in design, visual culture, and creative expressions in various fields
- Proven commissioning and product development skills and a strong sense for the visual and content-related standards of high-quality lifestyle publications
- Profound knowledge of and a proven track record in at least two of the following categories: Architecture, Interior, Graphic Design, Art, Outdoor, and Mobility.
- Strong communication and relationship-building skills, and the ability to navigate complex partner interactions
- The ability to inspire and convince others of ideas and the organizational skills to make these ideas happen.
- An intrinsic understanding of gestalten’s brand and audience and a commitment to setting the editorial vision in line with the company’s goals
- Fluency in written and spoken German and English (ideally one of them native)
- You are based in Berlin (or willing to relocate) and eligible to work in Germany
- Become part of a globally recognized brand and work with a vast network of partners and creative talents worldwide.
- Join a highly qualified, experienced, and motivated team that values respect, transparency, pragmatism, and collaboration.
- Work in a professional environment with an office conveniently located in the vibrant heart of Berlin-Kreuzberg, and the ability to work remotely.
gestalten is a creative global publisher of quality, cutting-edge illustrated books. We document and anticipate vital movements in architecture, visual culture, design & fashion, escapism, food & beverages, travel, and contemporary art.
Coming from diverse cultural and professional backgrounds, the gestalten team is brought together through a collective interest in the creative world. The gestalten family is global and supported by an extensive network of contributors and industry-leading voices across creative fields. The seed of every gestalten idea begins in our headquarters in the heart of Berlin-Kreuzberg. From the initial idea and concept to design, production to distribution, and communication to all things brand-related, our vision is brought together by a close network of individuals involved throughout.
gestalten is committed to creating a diverse environment. Therefore, we welcome all applications - regardless of gender, nationality, ethnic and social origin, religion/worldview, disability, age, living situation, sexual orientation, and identity. All employment is decided based on qualifications, merit, and business need.
‘How to Apply’ details:
Please complete your application using our online form:
Closing Date: 31.08.2021
Salary Bracket: £ 30.000 - 42.000 p.a.