Program Manager Childrens’ Books (d/f/m)
gestalten is hiring an experienced Program Manager Childrens’ Books (d/f/m) responsible for developing and managing our growing children’s publishing program Little Gestalten. Responsibilities will include ongoing management of the publishing program from a brand, editorial and commercial perspective, seeking exciting new opportunities and partnerships, and developing creative, original content, formats, and stories.
The successful candidate will need to show they have an excellent track record in creatively acquiring and producing quality Children’s books. The publishing program will be required to balance the commercial expectations of the company while capturing the values of Little Gestalten.
This is a full-time position. The role can be based in Berlin (Germany) or London (UK) or can be fully remote.
Where your expertise is needed:
- Reporting directly to the publisher, you are responsible for shaping the Little Gestalten imprint and creating a growing list of commercially successful, quality illustrated children’s books, as well as building up, supervising, and mentoring your team.
- You acquire and develop and edit 10 to 15 books a year, including board books, highly-illustrated non-fiction and fiction books.
- You evaluate the strategic and economic potential of projects and assess their quality, originality, and product-market-fit.
- You negotiate deals and close contracts.
- You manage and monitor schedules and deadlines, always maintaining an overview of the publishing program.
- You build and nurture new and existing relationships with authors, illustrators, agents, and industry professionals and understand each stakeholder’s skills, strengths, and weaknesses to identify the best team to produce a particular title.
- You manage and advise authors and illustrators, supervise designers and production managers by being a guiding voice in conversations about layouts, covers, and packaging.
- You work closely with Sales and Marketing on positioning and promotional efforts for titles and with Foreign Rights to support the licensing efforts.
What do we expect from you?
- You have at least five years of paid work history in children’s book publishing and will be happy to dedicate your numerous talents across the editorial production process, creating relevant, engaging, and inspiring publications for gestalten’s young readers.
- A passion for children’s entertainment and strong knowledge of the children’s book market is a must.
- You can spot future trends, identify strategic opportunities, envision an end product, and bring that vision to fruition.
- You bring excellent editorial skills – across age groups and categories, including fiction and non-fiction, caring about the details as well as the big picture.
- Knowledge of the manufacturing and production process, excellent licensing, agent, packager, and creator/writer contacts
- Fluency in written and spoken German or English
- Become part of a globally recognized brand and work with a vast network of partners and creative talents worldwide.
- Join a highly qualified, experienced, and motivated team that values respect, transparency, pragmatism, and collaboration.
- Work in a professional environment with an office conveniently located in the vibrant heart of Berlin-Kreuzberg, working hours based on trust and the ability to work remotely.
gestalten is a creative global publisher of quality, cutting-edge illustrated books. We document and anticipate vital movements in architecture, visual culture, design & fashion, escapism, food & beverages, travel, and contemporary art. In 2014, Little Gestalten joined the literary ranks and ensured that there was a place for readers of all ages within the world of gestalten.
Coming from diverse cultural and professional backgrounds, the gestalten team is brought together through a collective interest in the creative world. The gestalten family is global and supported by an extensive network of contributors and industry-leading voices across creative fields. The seed of every gestalten idea begins in our headquarters in the heart of Berlin-Kreuzberg. From the initial idea and concept to design, production to distribution, and communication to all things brand-related, our vision is brought together by a close network of individuals involved throughout.
gestalten is committed to creating a diverse environment. Therefore, we welcome all applications - regardless of gender, nationality, ethnic and social origin, religion/worldview, disability, age, living situation, sexual orientation, and identity. All employment is decided based on qualifications, merit, and business need.
‘How to Apply’ details:
Please submit your resume and cover letter, including something you particularly like about gestalten’s children's list and something you find lacking, using our online form: https://gestalten.jobs.personio.de/job/417396?_pc=429258#apply
Closing Date: 31.08.2021
Salary Bracket: £ 40.000 - 46.000 p.a.