Commissioning Editor/Associate Publisher
We are looking to recruit people at Commissioning Editor level (salary band: £32,700-£40,000) and Associate Publisher level (equivalent to Editorial Director, salary band: £40,000-£50,000).
You will be working with brilliant authors of page-turning commercial fiction, both looking after writers we already publish and finding new ones. You'll help them come up with intriguing ideas and edit their books to ensure they're perfect for our readers with impactful titles, covers and copy. You'll work with our marketing, publicity and commercial teams to bring books to a wide range of readers, analysing performance and making changes when necessary. The Associate Publisher role may involve line management.
Who we are looking for
- You’re a creative person with a passion for stories, able to spot trends and understand what makes a reader tick.
- You use data to inform your work, and love using your analytical brain to understand what’s working and what could be done better.
- You’re a strong communicator, capable of building good relationships and unafraid of having challenging conversations when needed.
- You have a relentless focus on results, and on getting our books to the broadest possible readership. You’re agile and reactive, thriving on change and taking risks.
- You will be invested in diversifying our business, making our books as diverse as the range of readers we aim to reach.
- You may have a background in working on commercial fiction in a publishing role, but this is not essential, if you can demonstrate that you have all of the other skills that we’re looking for.
What we offer
Our staff are our greatest asset and our benefits reflect this. In addition to 25 days annual leave days per year + bank holidays, we have an extensive list of benefits that include: a wide-ranging training library, development programmes including mentoring, Cycle to Work vouchers, Private Medical Insurance, eye care vouchers, up to 70% off book purchases, a charity book shelf, 2 community days per year, many employee networks to join, summer hours (finishing at 1pm on Fridays during the summer months!), season ticket loans, rent deposit loans, generous pension schemes and much more!
This role can be based in the UK or the US – and we may also consider exceptional candidates based elsewhere. If UK-based, you can work at our London office in Carmelite House, or at any of our regional offices in Edinburgh, Newcastle, Manchester, Sheffield or Bristol, with a blend of in-office (3 days per week) and homeworking (2 days per week).
Who we are and what we do
Do you understand what makes a great story? Are you interested in creating bestsellers?
We’re looking for the very best talent to join our editorial team – from both within publishing and beyond.
Bookouture is the UK’s fastest growing digital publisher, and part of Hachette UK. We are celebrating our tenth birthday this year, and 2022 is set to be a record-breaking year for us. We have grown rapidly over the last ten years, and we are now a team of 50 people, and have sold 60 million commercial fiction and non-fiction books to readers worldwide. Off the back of this incredible success, we’re excited to be growing our editorial team.
Hachette employs people on the basis of their abilities. We aim to attract and develop talent from a base as broad as the world of readers we want to reach, with a wide and representative range of age, faith, disability, race, gender, sexuality and socio-economic, regional and cultural backgrounds.
If you are shortlisted and need us to make any adjustments to help you attend for interview, please let us know.
The Book Trade Charity offers financial support to people looking to enter the book trade but who may struggle to afford the costs of attending interviews and undertaking junior roles. For more information visit www.booktradeentrysupport.org