Editorial Director (12 month FTC)
Who we are and what we do
Octopus publish books for everyone. We love to enlighten, nourish, entertain and most of all inspire readers and listeners everywhere. We're a leading publisher of non-fiction books, working to publish exciting, market-leading books across our many unique imprints, including Philip's maps and guides.
Octopus is a division of Hachette, one of the largest publishing groups in the UK, with 12 publishing divisions and over 60 imprints. Everyone here is proud to be in the business of opening doors and minds.
What you'll be doing
We're seeking a dynamic, creative, commercial Editorial Director of illustrated cookery and lifestyle to lead the Hamlyn imprint into its 75th anniversary year. Hamlyn is for families of all shapes and sizes – with food, drink, home, garden, health and parenting at its core. Originally founded by Paul Hamlyn, its illustrated list has sold millions of copies all around the world.
Day to day, you'll be –
- Commissioning and acquiring titles of distinction that are fresh, commercial and relevant
- Generating a list that satisfies multiple markets and channels
- Working with key Hamlyn authors, brands and IP – and developing new opportunities too
- Guiding and/or managing colleagues contributing to the list
- Delivering a profitable list in accordance with commercial requirements
Who we are looking for
If you're passionate about smart books for everyday living, love converting clever concepts with mass market appeal into profitable publishing and have a stellar track record in Hamlyn's core categories, this role could be for you. We're looking for someone who's as comfortable with a pitch as a P&L, whose connections and reputation will open doors, who positions concepts commercially then successfully drives them through to publication and beyond (with authors, colleagues and collaborators on board), who appreciates the value of IP alongside the allure of established brands. And – beyond the books – will think strategically, engage with the bigger picture and embrace side projects that will enhance Hamlyn's position with consumers and the trade.
What we offer
Our staff are our greatest asset, and our benefits reflect this:
- 28 annual leave days per year, increases to 29 days after 2 years' service and goes up to 30 days after 5 years' (+ bank holidays)
- Generous pension schemes
- Rent deposit loans
- 2 community days per year
- Summer hours (finishing at 1pm on Fridays during the summer months)
- Retail discounts through Hachette rewards
- Cycle to Work scheme
- Eye care vouchers
- Wide-ranging training library
- Development programmes (including mentoring)
- Up to 70% off book purchases
- A charity bookshelf
- 12 Staff-led employee networks that are voluntary, including Gender Balance, Thrive, Pride, All Together, Wellbeing and religious networks
- Season ticket loans
- And much more!
The role will be based at our London office, Carmelite House, with a blend of in-office (3 days) and homeworking (2 days) per week.
Hachette employs people on the basis of their abilities. We aim to attract and develop talent from a base as broad as the world of readers we want to reach, with a wide and representative range of age, faith, disability, race, gender, sexuality and socio-economic, regional and cultural backgrounds.
If you are shortlisted and need us to make any adjustments to help you attend for interview, please let us know.
The Book Trade Charity offers financial support to people looking to enter the book trade but who may struggle to afford the costs of attending interviews and undertaking junior roles. For more information visit www.booktradeentrysupport.org