Redwood is very excited to be working with The Royal Entomological Society on an exclusive basis, to recruit an outstanding and dynamic Head of Publishing to lead their publishing strategy. This is a permanent, new and exciting role which will ensure the high quality of the Society’s publications and will oversee their planned, sustainable growth. This role can be worked on a fully remote basis, with the occasional travel to the office in St Albans, but candidates must be based in the UK.
Responsibilities will include:
- Managing the RES journal portfolio including subscriptions, marketing, and strategy for growth.
- Optimising opportunities for maximum impact and revenue
- Working with the Editors-in Chief, Associate Editors and Editorial Boards of each journal
- With the CEO and Chair of Publications Committee, developing a strategic plan for RES publishing over the next 3 years
- Ensuring the RES is represented at key conferences and events (including international)
- Progress the Society journals towards Open Access and identifying new opportunities
- Taking responsibility for budget setting and management around publishing each year
- Keeping up-to-date with the fast-moving publishing sector – including open access, transitional deals and institutional subscriptions
- Leading a review of the current library and developing a strategy to increase accessibility with the Librarian and other staff
While an understanding of Society publishing is desirable, solid experience in STM or academic journal publishing is essential, particularly in Open Access areas. You will have demonstrable strategy and project management experience and the effective leadership skills necessary to lead a diverse team. The Society additionally maintains an entomological library and this role will also have line management responsibility for the library team.
As part of the Strategic Leadership Team, you will also contribute to the annual development of the business plan, supporting delivery of the strategic plan. This is an exciting time to join the Royal Entomological Society as it embarks on a new 3-year strategy and a fantastic opportunity for an STM professional to take up the position of Head of Publishing.
If you can share this vision and would like to see further details, please send your CV and a short cover note outlining your interest and salary expectations. All applications will be going through Redwood.