An excellent opportunity to join a tight-knit non fiction team focussed on history, nature, science and current affairs publishing, committed to quality and an ambitious growth progamme. Great scope for career progression.
You will support our non fiction publishers, taking books from copyedit stage to print-ready files, working with our production team to deliver them on time and within budget.
You will be responsible for the accuracy and quality of metadata on our title management systems; creating AIs, catalogue and jacket copy. You will work closely with copyeditors, proofreaders and indexers. You will brief covers, work with page designers and picture researchers, and throughout the journey from MS to HB you will liaise with the authors and their agents.
While this is a non-commissioning role, there will be excellent scope to develop your editorial skills. You will independently publish approximately 5 titles a year, acting as the principal contact for author and agent, completing contract negotiations, liaising with your sales, marketing and publicity colleagues to create publishing plans, managing structural and line edits and presenting titles at sales meetings.
In addition we would encourage you to read and report on submissions, contributing to our publishing planning meetings and list strategy.
The role is a full-time permanent position based at our London office 5-8 Hardwick Street, London, EC1R 4RG on a flexible working pattern of 2 days office based / 3 days home based (or fully office based if preferred).
Please apply with a CV and covering letter addressed detailing how you meet the requirements outlined above for this role by midnight on 14th August 2022.
HoZ reserve the right to close the role early if we exceed the required number of applications.
Location: London (Central)
Status: Permanent, Full time
Salary Description: Competitive + Benefits
Reference: HoZ / Apollo / Editor
EDITOR, NON-FICTION, reporting to Publishing Director
Your primary duties are, but not necessarily limited to:
1) DESK EDITING
Desk Edit Apollo Non Fiction and Apollo Fiction (up to 20 titles pa)
- Liaise with publisher, authors and production dept from copyedit stage
- Work with production to ensure titles run to schedule and budget
- Manage picture research, picture budgets & permission-clearing
- Source and quality control of front and endmatter
- Collate proofs, check corrections
- Assist with cover briefs
- Assist with writing cover copy
- Proof-read & sign off cover copy
- Create and update bibliographic data, including keywords, catalogue copy and AIs
- Create extra sales material (eg proofs, presenters, blads, A+ pages) when required
- Check Amazon pages for data compliance regularly
Author & Agent Liasion
- Send authors & agents regular sales, marketing and publicity updates, including reviews, and details of upcoming promotions
- Send out author advance copies and order contractual copies
- Read and report on submissions when required
- General administrative assistance when required
You will publish selected Apollo Non Fiction titles acquired by other publishers (5-10 titles pa). In addition to the duties listed above under 1) Desk Editing, you will
- Act as principal contact for author and agent
- Complete contract negotiations
- Liaise with rights, audio, SMP to create publishing plans
- Manage structural and line edit stages
- Present titles at SMP & sales meetings
- Sign off jackets and prelims for press