Application closing date: Sunday 31st October 2021 (by midnight...scary)
Salary: £24–29k PAYE dependent on experience
Start date: January 2021 (or soon after)
First round of interviews: 17/18th November by Zoom
Second round of interviews: TBC – in person at the office
Location: Working in our office by Broadway Market, London, E8
WHO ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
We are looking for an experienced, enthusiastic and exceptionally organised Production Controller with a few years’ experience in four-colour book production to look after our entire list. Our focus is on quality so you’ll need to have excellent attention to detail and a calm, positive and flexible work ethic – even when under pressure. In particular you’ll have a good grasp of figures and be fluent in spreadsheets. We are a small company so the ability to work off your own initiative is a must, but equally you should have a desire to be a part of a growing team and be happy, at times, to be involved in all aspects of the publishing process. That’s part of the fun. Honest!
WHO ARE WE?
We are a young independent publisher with lots of awards (blah, blah). Our goal is to make photography, art and lifestyle books that are both beautiful AND accessible. We care about what we do. Actually we really do care about what we do. We care about making great books, we care about each other and we really care about our environmental impact.
WHAT IS THE ROLE?
- Managing the production of 20+ titles per year from conception to completion, working closely with the in-house team as well as project-specific freelancers to bring to life high-quality photographic books on time and within budget.
- Making sure all our books are carbon offset, that we only use the most sustainable materials and that for every book sold online we plant a tree in the Hoxton Mini Forest.
- Creating production schedules based on set publication dates and liaising with all team members to ensure schedules are maintained and books are delivered on time.
- Working with the in-house designer to ensure best possible choice of book materials.
- Understanding the colour management of photography and working with external repro houses to ensure best possible quality of photographic printing.
- Managing reprints for all backlist titles and analysing sales history to advise on reprint quantities and timings.
- Managing stock levels across three different warehouses.
- Actively seeking to establish new relationships with printers while maintaining good working relationships with our current pool of printers.
- Liaising with printers and distributors on delivery dates .
- Managing stock deliveries between the office, the UK warehouses and the US warehouse.
WHAT SKILLS DO YOU NEED?
- Ideally two years’ experience (minimum one year) in book production, with a good understanding of all aspects of the print production process, particularly in photographic / four-colour books.
- Great experience with spreadsheets and a good understanding of finances, budgets and simple profit and loss calculations
- Experience working with printers both in Europe and the Far East.
- Confidence in managing multiple projects from start to finish.
- Good communication skills and the ability to work with a wide range of people.
- An excellent eye for detail.
- Strong negotiation and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent time management and the ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
- Advanced use of Mac is essential as is knowledge of Microsoft Office, in particular Excel.
- Experience with Photoshop and InDesign would be useful.
- Knowledge of project management software/Gantt charts would be helpful.
- You will be able to demonstrate a genuine interest in photobook publishing and photography in general with a good eye for design.
(Please note: you must be dog-friendly. There are two lively mini-schnauzers in the office!)
CLOSING DATE: MIDNIGHT 31st OCTOBER (WhooOOhooohooo)