Contract: Fixed Term Contract – maternity cover, 12 months
The International Institute for Strategic Studies (IISS) is a world leading authority, whose researchers produce independent analysis to advance a wider understanding of global security, geo-economics and geopolitics.
The institute is seeking to appoint an Assistant Editor, to contribute to the work of the Editorial Department. Reporting to the Associate Editor, we would like the new appointee to join us by September 2021.
- Fact-checking, copy-editing and proofreading IISS publications, to IISS House Style, as required (including text, maps and graphics).
- Fact-checking, copy-editing, proofreading and uploading content on defence and security for the Military Balance database, an online product.
- Participating as necessary in product development and sales and marketing discussions for IISS publications.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent relevant experience.
- Keen to progress a career in publishing.
- At least 2 years’ previous demonstrable experience in copy-editing and proofreading and a sharp eye for detail (essential).
- Basic experience of working with a CMS, database or online publication content.
- Experience promoting publications via social media.
- An interest in the commercial aspects of publishing.
- An understanding of international affairs or global military issues (advantageous).
The IISS provides a full employment package. The benefits package at the institute includes Life Assurance, Private Medical Insurance, Health cashback plan, Season Ticket Loan, Cyclescheme and Contributory Pension Scheme. More information about the IISS can be found at https://www.iiss.org/careers.
Candidates should submit a cover letter stating their suitability for the post and a CV by pressing the blue ‘apply now’ button on the left-hand side of this screen using the following link Assistant Editor (Maternity Cover) (iiss.org). Candidates must be eligible to work in the UK. Unfortunately, we will be unable to provide visa sponsorship for this position.
Due to the expected volume of applications, only those applicants selected for interview will receive a reply following the acknowledgement email.
The IISS is an equal opportunities employer.