The International Institute for Strategic Studies (IISS) is a world-leading authority, whose researchers produce independent analysis to advance a wider understanding of global security, geo-economics and geopolitics.
The Military Balance is the Institute’s annual assessment of the military capabilities and defence economics of 171 countries worldwide. It is an essential resource for those involved in security policymaking, analysis and research.
The Institute is seeking to appoint an Associate Editor to lead on the editing and project management for the Military Balance and to contribute to the work of the Publications Department. This role reports to the Editorial Services Manager.
- Copy-edit principal IISS publication the Military Balance for print and digital formats
- Manage the schedule from receipt of copy to publication in conjunction with the Editorial Services Manager.
- Take a lead role in editing and quality control.
- Participate as necessary in product development and sales and marketing discussions for IISS publications.
- Copy-edit other IISS publications, reports and research papers as required.
- Line management of other editorial staff as appropriate.
- Edit content for the Military Balance+ database as required.
- Edit marketing materials for IISS publications as necessary.
- At least 4 years’ experience in copy-editing and proofreading print and digital content.
- Demonstrable experience of managing schedules and working to tight deadlines.
- At least 2 years’ demonstrable experience of working on integrated publications with text, maps and infographics.
- An interest in data visualisation in both print and digital formats.
- Experience of working as part of a multifunctional team.
- Experience promoting publications through print and digital channels.
- An understanding of military and international issues advantageous.
- An interest in the commercial aspects of publishing.
- Experience of people-management.
- Bachelor’s degree (minimum).
The IISS provides a competitive salary and a full employment package. The benefits package at the Institute includes Life Assurance, Private Medical Insurance, Bupa health cashback plan, Season Ticket Loan, Cyclescheme and Contributory Pension Scheme. More information about the IISS can be found at www.iiss.org.
Salary: circa £36,000.
To apply please send your CV and cover letter highlighting your experience and the skills you will bring to the IISS via our website: https://www.iiss.org/careers/jobs/2021/09/associate-editor
Candidates must be eligible to work in the UK. Unfortunately, we will be unable to provide visa sponsorship for this position.
Shortlisted candidates will be asked to undertake an editing test during the first-round interview.
The IISS is an equal opportunities employer.