Assistant Editor, Pan Non-fiction and Macmillan Business
Are you passionate about quality commercial non-fiction books? Do you want to work on some of the most influential and biggest bestsellers in the market, with authors including Angela Merkel, Kim Scott, Jacinda Ardern, Robin Ince, Alice Loxton, and David Epstein? We are looking for a creative, conscientious and enthusiastic Assistant Editor to join a thriving and growing part of our business.
You will be working on both the Macmillan Business list and across the wider Pan Non-Fiction list in the areas of current affairs, big ideas, memoir, popular science, sport and history. This is a busy and wide-ranging position with potential for career progression. Your role will be to support the Publishing Director on every aspect of our biggest titles from thought-leaders and experts. You need to be smart, ambitious and well-versed in serious non-fiction, brilliant at writing copy, incredibly efficient at administration and keen to build editing skills. Some experience of structural editing would be advantageous but is not necessary.
The successful candidate will have:
- A conscientious and organized approach to work: being able to brief covers and write copy to key deadlines is a must.
- Impeccable author and agent care across every stage of the publishing process.
- A can-do attitude in supporting the publishing director and the wider non-fiction team
This is a full time, permanent role, and will be based in our offices in Farringdon, London, with some flexibility to work from home each week.
All applicants must be able to demonstrate the right to live and work in the UK in order to be considered for this role.
Salary starting from: £28,000 onwards
Closing Date: 8 October 2023
Some of the benefits we offer:
- 25 days annual leave increasing with years of service + bank holidays
- Generous pension scheme
- 13 weeks company sick pay and discounted private medical insurance
- Employee Assistance Programme (EAP) and Mental Health First Aiders
- Life insurance – 4 x base salary
- Group income protection scheme
- Enhanced family-friendly policies
- Flexible working hours and summer hours (early finish during summer months)
- Volunteer Days and Faith Day
- Learning, development and training opportunities including mentoring
- 75% off all Macmillan books and regular staff book sales (highly reduced rates)
- Season ticket loan/advance
- Cycle to work scheme
- Onsite health checks, flu jabs and massages
- Eyecare contributions
- Discounts on shopping, Tastecard+ and gym memberships; Christmas club savings
- Free breakfast and fruit at our office
- Seasonal parties, author visits and signings
- Give As You Earn
- Employee referral scheme
We are highly committed to equality and diversity. We welcome applications from all individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. Our full Diversity & Inclusion Pledge is available here https://www.panmacmillan.com/about/diversity-and-inclusion
Please note that all personal information which we process in connection with your application will be treated in accordance with our Recruitment Privacy Notice available here: https://panmacmillan.com/recruitment-privacy-notice. Please read our Recruitment Privacy Notice before submitting your application