We are looking for a talented and highly organised Editor with experience in children’s picture book publishing to fill a permanent full-time role.
You will be responsible for the editing and production of a list of titles on the Picture Books list. Working as part of a busy and dynamic team, you will be expected to manage individual book budgets, monitor title progress, liaise with authors, illustrators and agents, and maintain strong working relationships with every individual involved in the editorial and production process.
This wide-ranging role combines project management with excellent editing and proof-reading skills.
Your usual day might include reading submissions, creating and presenting new ideas, working on texts and layouts with authors and illustrators, checking proofs, writing blurb and sales copy, attending departmental meetings, maintaining schedules and liaising with the production department on your titles.
The successful candidate will:
- Have experience of editorial project management
- Have experience of working closely with Design and Production
- Be highly organised, with the ability to prioritise and manage workflow
- Possess exceptional written skills
- Have an impeccable eye for detail and strong content, copy editing and proof-reading skills
- Be able to execute and manage tight deadlines
- Have a broad understanding of the production process; scheduling and critical path
- Have strong numeracy skills and be able to manage invoices and budget effectively for each title
- Possess effective communication skills
- Be self-motivated and highly flexible – happy to move between projects as priorities dictate and manage multiple projects effectively
- Demonstrate an inclusive approach
- Demonstrate knowledge of the contemporary children’s book market
We’d love it if you had…
- A good knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel etc) and publishing management systems (e.g. Biblio)
- Familiarity with the specific requirements of full-colour children’s picture-book publishing
- Have used or are familiar with Google Workspace (Gmail/google applications)
The position will be 35 hours per week, Monday - Friday.
All applicants must have the right to live and work in the United Kingdom.
By applying for any roles at MPIL (including Pan Macmillan) you are agreeing to the terms and conditions stated here: http://www.macmillandistribution.co.uk/recruitmentprivacynotice
Please, read these before submitting any applications.
Hiring Manager: Hannah Ray, Publishing Director, Picture Books
Closing Date: Thursday 23rd September 2021
Salary: starting from £28,000