Head of Corporate Communications
Would you like to join our award-winning, energetic, collaborative and creative Communications team in the newly created role of Head of Corporate Communications? We are a well-established, experienced and buzzy team which is plugged into every aspect of our business and deeply connected to our social as well as commercial purpose. We incorporate marketing, publicity, consumer insight, corporate communications, brand development and digital expertise.
Working closely with all areas of the business, the Head of Corporate Communications will find new and compelling ways of telling our company story and work to protect our reputation with all our key stakeholders.
Externally, this involves building and protecting our reputation among media and other stakeholder audiences; developing and implementing a clear communications strategy for major company announcements and potential crises, and developing a narrative reflecting what makes Pan Macmillan a distinctive and attractive place to work as well as to be published.
Internally, you will develop and communicate a company narrative that will bring the purpose and values of our organisation to life for our colleagues.
The Head of Corporate Communications is a key new role in the Communications Leadership team at Pan Macmillan, reporting into the Group Communications Director. As a small and dedicated team we are comfortable ‘doing’ as much as ‘leading’, and we encourage a collaborative environment in which we are all prepared to roll our sleeves up and get stuck in.
We are looking for an experienced, resilient, strategic and highly flexible individual with a keen interest in and knowledge of the media, the news agenda, the cultural conversation around books and the issues that matter to the publishing industry.
Key tasks of the role include -
- Developing and implementing an external PR strategy to raise awareness of company story, values and industry position amongst key external stakeholders and to manage potential crises; this work will include the need to produce and publish high quality written communications often at speed
- Building relationships and managing day to day liaison with key external corporate stakeholders including trade press, industry associations and other influencers, and handling inbound media enquiries
- Promoting central initiatives, HR schemes and other significant group projects, milestones and announcements
- Shaping messaging and drafting external communications materials including press releases, Q&A documents, prize submissions and press statements
- Maintaining a close relationship with Pan Macmillan’s divisional Comms Directors in order to support on any complex media issue or crises arising from author or book-led issues
- Responsible for writing and updating the content of the corporate area on the Pan Macmillan website and intranet
- Assessing group involvement in industry events and awards, managing and drafting submissions for group awards
- Supporting the CEO and the Exec team in the communication of organisational initiatives and projects to employees
- Providing input and drafting or editing content for internal briefings and other business updates and presentations from senior management
- Partnering with our HR team to articulate our employer brand internally and externally, bringing the employee experience to life ensuring consistency across all stages of the employee journey
- Partnering with colleagues to bring our DEI and Social Responsibility work to life and encourage participation and ownership across the company
- Seeking out and implementing opportunities to promote and celebrate what makes Pan Macmillan special as a place to work
The ideal candidate will have –
- 7 years+ experience in a corporate communications role, preferably within a cultural or media organisation or publishing environment
- Compelling and creative writing skills and the ability to communicate well across all formats
- A relationship-builder with excellent stakeholder management skills who is comfortable working across all levels of the organisation
- Able to work and make judgements independently, a proactive individual with the flexibility to work across a multitude of different projects
- Able to adapt quickly in a changing or difficult situation and work under pressure, prioritise a heavy workload and multiple deadlines
- A creative thinker who is willing to try new things and unafraid to challenge the status quo
- Passionate about Pan Macmillan’s purpose and the importance of books and reading
- Someone who thrives in a creative, collaborative and, at times, challenging environment with a sense of fun
- Highly networked with a strong media contacts list
Closing Date: 14 July 2022
Hiring Manager: Sara Lloyd, Group Communications Director
This role will be based in our offices in Farringdon, London, with some flexibility to work from home.
We are highly committed to equality and diversity. We welcome applications from all individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. Our full Diversity & Inclusion Pledge is available here https://www.panmacmillan.com/about/diversity-and-inclusion
All applicants must be able to demonstrate the right to live and work in the UK in order to be considered for this role.
Please note that all personal information which we process in connection with your application will be treated in accordance with our Recruitment Privacy Notice available here: https://panmacmillan.com/recruitment-privacy-notice. Please read our Recruitment Privacy Notice before submitting your application