Head of Special Sales
An exciting opportunity to join one of the UK’s leading publishers at a time of growth to lead our Special Sales team and strategy.
As Head of Special Sales, you will be leading our Special Sales team and strategy. You will also have the opportunity to support the Children’s Sales Director on children’s projects across the UK market and be involved in acquisitions, brand development and our UK Sales children’s strategy.
We are looking for a dynamic, customer focused and creative individual with a passion for books and the non-traditional book markets. You will be directly responsible for several major accounts, achieving the overall Special Sales budget and managing two direct reports and a team of freelance gift reps.
Accounts will include key growth retailers such as Aldi, Lidl and The Works, subscription boxes including creating special editions, children’s specialists such as Booktrust and high street non-book chains such as John Lewis and Jojo Maman Bébé.
You will be supported on some accounts by a Special Sales Executive. You will sell across all divisions, including Macmillan Children’s Books with market leading authors such as Julia Donaldson and Marcus Rashford, Adult Fiction and Non Fiction across Pan and Picador, and our market leading imprint Bluebird which is home of Pinch of Nom and Joe Wicks.
Responsible for our Special Sales strategy, you will represent the department across the business, maximise sales and profit, identify new business opportunities and work with teams across the business.
The successful candidate will have the following skills & knowledge:
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong presenter with proven customer relationships
- Commercial awareness and strategic planning
- Self-starter with the ability to find and deliver new business
- Leadership and team management
- Negotiation skills
- Understanding of UK retail especially non-traditional booksellers and gift market
- Able to multitask and work under tight deadlines
- Able to quickly adapt and react to change
- Numeracy skills
- Problem solving
- Strong experience in UK Special Sales managing major accounts across Adults and Children’s
- Specialist knowledge in Children’s books across all age groups
- Demonstrated ability to multitask in a fast-paced environment
- Experience of managing complicated processes and spreadsheets
We'd love it if you had…
- Passion for the non-traditional book market and making a deal work
- Experience in putting the customer first
- A love of detail and making processes work effectively and efficiently
- Experience with Biblio, Nielsen and Google Suite
Hiring Manager: Sarah Clarke, Sales Director
Closing Date: Thursday 30th September 2021
The position will be 35 hours per week, Monday - Friday.
All applicants must have the right to live and work in the United Kingdom.
By applying for any roles at MPIL (including Pan Macmillan) you are agreeing to the terms and conditions stated here: http://www.macmillandistribution.co.uk/recruitmentprivacynotice
Please, read these before submitting any applications.