Senior Commissioning Editor (Fixed Term Maternity Cover)
Department: Macmillan Children’s Books (MCB)
We are looking for a talented and creative Senior Commissioning Editor, experienced in children’s licensed and illustrated pre-school publishing to work on a fixed-term maternity contract.
You will be responsible for commissioning commercially exciting publishing related to high profile licences and for developing a range of authors and illustrators in market-winning formats for the Brands and Media and Preschool lists.
As a senior member of a busy and dynamic team, you will be expected to assume financial management of a designated list area, taking a number of titles through from acquisition to publication and being the key point of contact with licensors, agents and authors. You will also assist the Publishing Director in identifying licensed properties that would be a good fit for the Brands and Media list with a view to acquisition.
The successful candidate will:
- Have demonstrable experience in children’s licensed and illustrated pre-school publishing.
- Have strong list-building skills and the drive and capability to produce exciting and commercially successful publishing with relevance in the UK, Export and Co-edition markets.
- Be highly numerate, with a good understanding of P&L and finance management of a designated list area.
- Have experience of drawing up deal memos and checking contracts.
- Be able to demonstrate experience of pitching for new brands.
- Have experience of working with licensors, agents, established authors and illustrators.
- Demonstrate experience of nurturing new and rising talent.
- Have excellent project management and editorial skills.
- Be highly organised, with the ability to prioritise and manage workflow for themselves and others.
- Possess excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrate strong influencing skills.
- Have good knowledge of the contemporary children’s book market, licensed publishing and an interest in picture books and preschool titles.
Salary starting from: £35,000
Hiring Manager: Nicole Pearson, Publishing Director, Brands and Media
Closing Date: Wednesday 28th September 2022
The position will be 35 hours per week, Monday - Friday.
We are highly committed to equality and diversity. We welcome applications from all individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. Our full Diversity & Inclusion Pledge is available here: https://www.panmacmillan.com/about/diversity-and-inclusion
All applicants must have the right to live and work in the United Kingdom.
By applying for any roles at MPIL (including Pan Macmillan) you are agreeing to the terms and conditions stated here: http://www.macmillandistribution.co.uk/recruitmentprivacynotice
Please, read these before submitting any applications.