Senior Editor (Fixed Term Maternity Cover)
Department: Macmillan Children’s Books (MCB)
We are looking for a creative and organised Senior Editor with experience in children’s preschool publishing to work on a 1 year fixed-term maternity cover contract.
As Senior Editor, you will be responsible for project-managing large book series and taking titles through from acquisition to publication for the Campbell list, which is a novelty and board book imprint for 0-5 year-olds for UK, English language and co-edition markets all over the world.
As a senior member of a busy and dynamic team, you will be expected to generate market-winning ideas for new series, manage budgets, monitor title progress, liaise with illustrators and agents, and maintain strong working relationships with every individual involved in the editorial, design and production process as well as with the sales teams.
This wide-ranging role combines project management with concept creation and excellent writing, editing and proofreading skills.
Your usual day might include developing a new concept, writing a text, working on layouts with designers and illustrators, checking proofs, writing sales copy, presenting at departmental meetings, maintaining schedules and liaising with the production department on your titles.
The successful candidate will:
- demonstrate an inclusive approach
- have knowledge of and enthusiasm for the contemporary Under 5s children’s book market
- be familiar with the specific requirements of full colour children’s novelty publishing
- have excellent project management and editorial skills
- demonstrate an impeccable eye for detail, strong content, copy-editing and proofreading
- possess exceptional written skills and be a creative thinker
- have an understanding of child development and early learning • be highly numerate with a good understanding of P&Ls, budgeting and finance management
- have a broad understanding of production processes and scheduling for foreign language markets
- be organised and flexible, able to manage multiple projects effectively and prioritise workflow
- demonstrate effective communication and influencing skills
We’d love it if you had…
- good knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel etc.), Adobe InDesign and publishing management systems such as Biblio
- have used or are familiar with Google Suite (Gmail/Google applications)
Salary starting from: £32,000
Hiring Manager: Deborah Kespert, Editorial Director, Campbell Books
Closing Date: Sunday 16th October 2022
This is a full time, fixed-term maternity cover role, and will be based in our offices in Farringdon, London, with some flexibility to work from home each week.
We are highly committed to equality and diversity. We welcome applications from all individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. Our full Diversity & Inclusion Pledge is available here: https://www.panmacmillan.com/about/diversity-and-inclusion
All applicants must have the right to live and work in the United Kingdom.
By applying for any roles at MPIL (including Pan Macmillan) you are agreeing to the terms and conditions stated here: http://www.macmillandistribution.co.uk/recruitmentprivacynotice
Please, read these before submitting any applications.