Morgan Healey Retained Assignment
Our client, a global Open Access publisher, requires a new Managing Director for China. Due to aggressive growth plans and to service current company demands, the business is opening a brand new office Beijing China.
Build, manage and promote the company brand-led editorial and commercial activities within the scientific communities of Greater China, as a world class Open Access publisher.
Reporting to the CEO this a key role within the business. The individual will be responsible for building the Chinese office from the ground up. Delivering the P&L annually and growing the business to meet growth targets. Working closely with the London HQ to identify new strategic opportunities and then deliver on them.
The China office will work closely with China-based academic and government institutions and will engage with authors, policy makers, funders and research administrators.
- Establish office and hire new personnel.
- Lead, coach and act as role model
- Develop and delivery of P&L.
- Forecasting revenue, profit, and local resource requirement
- Drive, monitor and report key KPIs indicative of revenue and profit growth in Greater China, including submission and publication workflow, manuscript transfer, author satisfaction, acceptance rate.
- Manage editorial & publishing, marketing, business development activities
- Lead the China outreach and marketing campaigns
- Extend existing network within the Chinese academic and institution communities.
- Keep up to date with developments and trends within the Chinese and global STM publishing market and advise HQ as appropriate. To make recommendations around business development and strategic impact of those changes.
- Act as the company ambassador for the Chinese market. Speak at international conferences.
Skills & Experience:
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in a senior management role with STM/Academic publishing, ideally within business development/marketing background.
- Experience working within the academic publishing market in China would be an advantage.
- Day-to-day management capability, including financial management & team development.
- Able to demonstrate ability to manage and grow a P&L.
- Good understanding of business operational needs.
- Understanding and network within the Government and Institution markets.
- Experience working within an international company.
- Proven experience managing marketing activities in China, in particular around social media.
- Strong interpersonal skills, being able to work with and manage teams.
- Can demonstrate a strategic and analytical approach.
- Superb communications skills both externally and internally
- Strong written and spoken English essential.
This position is open to local and international candidates, however candidates must already be based and working in the region and have valid Visa's.
Referrals: We will reward you with GBP500.00 if you know the perfect candidate for this position and our client hires them. You can send contact details of anyone you want to recommend to firstname.lastname@example.org