A leading professional scientific membership organisation based in London is looking to recruit an experienced Managing Editor to manage their portfolio of peer-reviewed journals. This pivotal role will manage the editorial office to ensure the journals are published on time and to a high standard, providing support to the Editors-in-Chiefs and Associate Editors. This is a great opportunity to become involved in the organisation’s strategic developments of their journals portfolio, where you will combine your experience of working with peer-reviewed content with your strategic insights of the research publishing industry to drive the development of the portfolio. This role offers a flexible working arrangement, with a mix of home working and attending the London office where there is a need to do so.
Reporting to the Publisher, some of the key responsibilities will include:
- Working with Editors-in-Chiefs, Associate Editors and other partners to define the portfolio and journal-level strategies.
- Manage the editorial process for manuscripts submitted to the journals, from submission to publication, liaising closely with authors, editors and colleagues.
- Drive engagement with the journals portfolio, identifying opportunities to cross promote content collections and editorial campaigns.
- Prepare journal and portfolio level reporting as and when required
- Prepare and participate in journal editorial board meetings, Society meetings and additional meetings as required.
- Assume responsibility for the online submission system.
This is a highly responsible role with the opportunity to develop within the organisation. The successful person will ideally have a Master’s/Doctoral degree in a biomedical or related discipline, and will have proven demonstrable experience of running an editorial office of a high-profile STM journal. You will also have proven experience of using an online submission system, ideally ScholarOne. This role is embedded within the journals team – a cross-functional team comprised of editorial, product, production and sales, within the organisation, therefore great time management, prioritisation and communication skills are essential to this role.
This position carries a highly attractive salary and excellent company benefits. If you would like further information, please send your CV and a short cover note.